Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Suzuki SV 650
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 SV 650. From the parts diagrams the 03 to 08 fuel pumps look similar. 05-08 having two thermistors. Can I just ignore the upper thermistor?

Do I have a wider field to pick from, since mine is toast? Wires rotted out of the pump, thermistor, and it is frozen.

·
Registered
2003 Suzuki SV 650
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
03 SV 650. From the parts diagrams the 03 to 08 fuel pumps look similar. 05-08 having two thermistors. Can I just ignore the upper thermistor?

Do I have a wider field to pick from, since mine is toast? Wires rotted out of the pump, thermistor, and it is frozen.
How about the Kemso fuel pumps, allegedly made in japan on flea bay, and the ebay thermistors? Which non oem pump chooches well? I am not geeting offf of seven benjmins for a pump on a yard sale bike. And the used prices are a joke.

·
Super Moderator
9,719 Posts
Any gen2 fuel pump will work on your '03.

'03 and '04 will be plug and play. (single fuel level)

'05+ have dual fuel level thermistors so the extra thermistor needs to be disconnected. This is easy to do by swapping out the wires from the 4-position plug on the '05+ to the 3-position fuel pump plug on your '03. Tape off and zip tie the extra thermistor wire.

·
Super Moderator
9,719 Posts
Do you have a part number or link for the thermistors?
Not to be a fearmonger, but I would not experiment with non-OEM thermistors. The SV650 fuel thermistor needs to handle about 4 watts. If the wrong sensor (too low wattage) is used, it is possible for it to get VERY (red) hot. Hot enough to ignite gasoline vapors? I don't know, but with the fuel tank sitting between your legs, you probably do not want to find out! : -)

There are a million NTC thermistors out there with all kinds of voltage/current/watt ratings. Most are NOT designed to be used in gasoline.

The best bet is to buy OEM from the dealer. Used ones are on eBay for less $$. Some sensors are single thermistor; some are dual. If you only have one failed thermistor, you can buy a dual thermistor stalk, remove one thermistor, solder that in to replace your failed one, and have a spare left over.

Good luck and welcome to SVRider.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts