Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,

So, I am in process of pulling the carbs out of my 2001 sv650s, to clean and may be rejet (stock bike.)

In any case, both Haynes manual and Suzuki shop manual suggest that I should take the choke cables off from the carbs side. But, the screws holding them in place are pretty damn tough to get out. I assume they need impact screw drivers, and of course, I don't have any.

- For those who have pulled the carbs out, how did you remove those cables? did you just do it from the handle bar side??

- Are the screws at the bottom of the carb going to be as much of a pain to remove?

- Any tips/suggestions/watch-out-for's will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
faz

·
Registered
47 Posts
What Andy said.

Also, as you may have already observed, some of the screws are on damn tight. Especially the ones for the black diaphragm covers and the float bowls. Over the course of several carb tunings, I have managed to partially strip the screw heads on most of them, despite having an electric impact driver. (On two seperate occasions, I had stripped them so badly that I had to get my hacksaw and create slots across the head so I could use my biggest flathead to unscrew them.)

On my last carb teardown, I decided the wise thing to do would be to replace them all with allen socket cap bolts. Just don't torque them down too tightly (it takes a lot less force using an allen wrench than a phillips driver) -- if you crank down on the diaphragm covers too much, they may crack (don't ask me how i know). I don't recall the diameter or thread pitch of the bolts, but take one of each of the original screws to Lowe's and go to the bolts/buts section. The metric socket cap bolts will be in those big drawers.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

I will keep you all posted on my progress. I will most likely be buying an impact screw driver to use when getting the float bowl off.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my experience the best tool for removing float bowl screws is just a good quality Phillips screwdriver (not the throwaway tools that Suzuki provides). Use the right size -a #1, not a #2- and find one that fits perfectly.

Don't use a worn tool; you can re-tip Phillips screwdrivers but it's tricky to get all the angles right so you may as well go buy a new one. I've got a bunch of similiar yet different screwdrivers in my box just for this reason, so I find the one that fits the tightest and go with that.

Impact tools are great, but carbs are fragile and should be handled gently. If you have to use one, use soft jaws in your vise and be very careful not to squeeze down on the machined bores.

:)

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
There's one screw on each carb holding the chokes on but they're always stuck (like the float bowl screws are always stuck too).

Use a hammer and a 3/8" socket extension to break up the corrosion holding them together... after a few good raps on the screw, seat a phillips head screwdriver into the screws slot and give the back of the screwdriver a few good hits to get it properly seated. Good firm pressure should get the screws to come out without goobering up the heads....

·
Registered
93 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
In my experience the best tool for removing float bowl screws is just a good quality Phillips screwdriver (not the throwaway tools that Suzuki provides). Use the right size -a #1, not a #2- and find one that fits perfectly.
Nice large handles, preferably with rubber grips. I've had mine apart a lot, always used the same screwdriver, even the first time, and the trick is to able to push down hard and sprovide a nice turning movement. If you can't push down hard, then you will chew up the head, evn with the right size Philips. You can even try pushing down with the palm of one hand, while turning with the other.

Andy,

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
First, strip the screw heads :) Then, take them out with moile grips, throw them in the bin, and fit some decent allen-headed bolts. Yes, you can avoid the problem by removing the choke from the handlebar end, but all this means is that when you do eventually need to get the choke screws out for maintenance, they're even harder to remove. It is usualyl possible to remove them with great care and a good screwdriver- grinding paste in the screw head can make a difference too- but ultimately those screws are very soft, and very stuck, and even the best of us can foul it up.

the other choke screws that hold the float bowl covers on are as bad, btw. A cheap impact driver (the sort you hit with a hammer) is a good buy, as are good mole grips. Cheap ones are a liability.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts