Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanting some input about bikes. I am looking for my first bike and really like the sv650s. I can get a 2005 with 114 miles between $4600 and $4800 with a minor scrape on the plastic.  I can also get a 2004 zzr600 in great condition for around 3800 maybe lower with 8,000 miles.

Do these deals sound good?
Should I stay away from the zzr for a first bike? Not sure what the pros and cons are for both bikes.

·
Registered
381 Posts
well you can't go wrong with the SV

the ZZR(which is the older 99-02(zx6r) is a good bike but its kinda heavy. plus its carbed and de-tuned from the "R" model-its still a good bike but i'd still go for an SV

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
You'll get picked on if you dont get the SV, that is all. Price is good on it too, depending on the "minor-ness" of the scrape.

·
Registered
254 Posts
This is your first bike, not your last.

Get something you won't mind dropping, something that's got less power, something that'll teach you to be a better rider.

·
Registered
155 Posts
LordMDP said:
well you can't go wrong with the SV

the ZZR(which is the older 99-02(zx6r) is a good bike but its kinda heavy. plus its carbed and de-tuned from the "R" model-its still a good bike but i'd still go for an SV
The 2004 ZZR600 is not the same as the 99-02 zx6r. The 2005 ZZR600 is the same. The 2004 zzr600, is based in the older generation zx6r. (mid 90's)

·
Registered
381 Posts
sv650K4 said:
The 2004 ZZR600 is not the same as the 99-02 zx6r.  The 2005 ZZR600 is the same.   The 2004 zzr600, is based in the older generation zx6r. (mid 90's)
woops-my bad-ok DEFINITELY get the SV then because the older ZZR600 are slow/heavy sport/touring type bikes
DEFINITELY get the SV

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
sv650K4 said:
The 2004 ZZR600 is not the same as the 99-02 zx6r. The 2005 ZZR600 is the same. The 2004 zzr600, is based in the older generation zx6r. (mid 90's)

Correct. The 2004 ZZR600 is the equivalent of the the 2005 ZX6E; To summarize, the current ZZR600 was Kawasaki's front line 600 from '99-'02, IIRC. The 2004 ZZR600 (current ZX6E) was Kawasaki's front line 600 prior to '99. A few of us went round and round on this a few months back; a curse on Kawasaki for the confusion it creates...

linkies to describe the difference:

2004 ZZR600: http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/review_list_vehicle.asp?veh=9005

2001 ZX6: http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/review_list_vehicle.asp?veh=1840

The above two are the same bike, with very minor changes...

2005 ZZR600: http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/review_list_vehicle.asp?veh=14237

2001 ZX6R: http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/review_list_vehicle.asp?veh=1839

The above two are the same bike, with very minor changes...

And head to head: http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/e...1=14237&year2=2004&mfg2=3&vehicle2=9005&go=Go

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Ivan said:
Cheaper is better if both bikes are in the same condition. There's nothing special about the SV compared to the zzr.
Nothing special? Are you nuts. Sv is way nicer than that old heavy 4 cyl. Evan, I think you missed the boat on what's important about cycling. That Ninja will never have as much class as the SV650. Ya. they both have two wheels, but that's where the similarities end. But wait, that's just MY opinion. I'm just one voice of many. BUT ARE YOU NUTS?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
For me just sitting on the ZZR and grabbing the totally awkward grips (very narrow and turned down and to the rider) put it way off my list of bikes I´d even consider. Plus it´s heavy and an old 600 powerplant (=> rev the hell out of it to get going).
But then, the I4 might be the smoother motor, which could be good for a beginner. On the other side, the new SVs seem to be much better and the 1st gens regarding throttle response.

Ciao
Jan

·
Registered
413 Posts
The Bike I owned before I got my svs was a 96 zx600 which is basically the same as a modern ZZR... speed wise the ZZR is BAAADDD... In fact I believe that in magazine tests it pulled top speeds around 156 and 1/4 mile times in the low 11's but the suspension is CRAP... super soft. Mine would push the front no matter how i had the suspension set up.. The rear shock is just too soft...

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I agree with you guys plus its so darn ugly. The SV is a much better looking bike and you can always modify it much more than the ZZR. I will never get rid my SV its the best investment I have made ever.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jrl said:
Just wanting some input about bikes. I am looking for my first bike and really like the sv650s. I can get a 2005 with 114 miles between $4600 and $4800 with a minor scrape on the plastic.  I can also get a 2004 zzr600 in great condition for around 3800 maybe lower with 8,000 miles

Should I stay away from the zzr for a first bike? Not sure what the pros and cons are for both bikes.
I went and  looked at both bikes . The zzr is a little more upright feels a little heavier.  The scrape on the sv is not very bad but noticeable. Its about a 5 inch vertical  1/2 inch wide scrape on the front fairing next to the light on the flat corner between the front and side (if that makes sense). I can get it for $4800 and I really like the looks of it.  The zzr doesn't have a blemish on it and still doesn't look bad. just not as nice as the sv

Will the sv be more comfortable riding and handling? I wont be doing extremely long rides. Just commuting short distances and riding for fun on the weekends. I'm just a little worried about my weight being more on my hands with the sv and I hear about problems with hands going numb. My arms are not extremely long so they will be pretty straight with a slight bend when gripping the bars.

Thanks for everyones comments. It sure helps to see what other peoples views are.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
In all honesty, it seems like you are leaning towards the SV, so I'd pull the trigger on it. The fairing rash, if that is indeed the only damage, is merely a bargaining point in my eyes: lowball the snot out of the seller. If you are uncomfortable or unable to identify other possible damages from the crash, bring a knowledgeable motorcyclist with you and buy him or her dinner or drinks for their trouble; it could save you from a major lemon.

Both the fairing rash and the bar position, if a problem for you, can be remedied. Unhappiness with the bike in general can only be remedied by selling it...

HTH

p.s. Performance wise, in every way except possibly screaming down the freeway at 100+, the SV is superior; put it in the twisties and around town and the SV will make the ZZR you're looking at feel like a rolling cement block.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
   :eek:  A 2005 with 114 miles on it ...  :eek:  Looks like someone got scared and wants to get rid of it.  GO FOR IT!

There is not much that can go on with 114 miles on it .. come on!

Rash ... hey you buying a jewel or you buying a tool?  Are you going to ride it or do you just want to look good? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Pay close attention to the radiator if he does not have sliders on.

As for plastic rash ... hell watch the for sale forum here ... racers are always stripping that stuff off!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jrl said:
Just wanting some input about bikes. I am looking for my first bike and really like the sv650s. I can get a 2005 with 114 miles between $4600 and $4800 with a minor scrape on the plastic.  I can also get a 2004 zzr600 in great condition for around 3800 maybe lower with 8,000 miles.

I got  the blue 2005 SV650s with 120 miles on it for $4700. It sure looks nice! I originally was going to stay with a used ex500 since I don't have a lot of experience though I have ridden some. The only used ones I found were close to the price of the SV. I will be taking a riding course and will get my license before I start riding. I can't wait!

·
Registered
606 Posts
That's really cool - good on ya, the blue ones are fairly slow, only the red ones are fast so you'll be fine while you are learning. The black SV's are almost as fast as red but not quite. If you have a copper or copper & primer SV they almost don't move they're so slow, actually the slowest model. If you want your bike to be faster later on down the road get a red helmet & gear and contact the SV Race Shop for a couple Red & Black stickers. That is sorta like having a red SV but not. Enjoy. ;) :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts