Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to try and collect all the convo's others, as well as myself, have had with some top riders regarding BP and place them in this thread. I basically learned how to ride with proper BP over the internet, way before my first trackday, and it paid off well. My BP still has along way to go in practice, but I have the theory down-pat and that is just as important. So here ya go. Fill yer brains :eek:ccasion14:

:icon_biggrin: posts 601-678 and counting have some GREAT discussion on BP. Doesnt get much clearer than this-->http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283235&page=16

:icon_biggrin: pretty good-->http://shopphilly.com/teampromotion/newforum/viewtopic.php?t=10567

:icon_biggrin: decent-->http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275617

:icon_biggrin: decent-->http://www.dcsportbikes.net/forum/f28/body-position-39637/

There are others out there, feel free to add links as you please.

·
very big dumb
8,892 Posts
http://www.examiner.com/article/tot...ks-at-the-2010-international-motorcycle-shows

Lee Parks 10 steps to cornering
Lee's 10 Steps to Proper Cornering, illustrated in the slideshow below, are:

1. Preposition (inside) foot.
* Be on the balls of your feet for maximum leverage (for footpegs).
* Don't let any part of your foot touch the ground.
2. Preposition body.
* Put your body into the position that you want to be in, in the middle of the corner, BEFORE the corner even starts.
* Body centerline to inside of the bike centerline.
3. Push on outside grip.
* Keep bike from falling into turn by forming "V" position.
* Pre-load bike into wanting to turn.
4. Locate turn point
* Choose a specific point where you will initiate your turn.
5. Look through turn.
* 10-15 feet before turn point in turns under 30 mph.
* Connet the dots.
6. Relax outside grip.
* Gravitational and aerodynamic forces pull bike into turn without upsetting suspension.
7. Push on inside grip -- the FLOP!
* Do simultaneously with step 6.
* Once in the turn use ONLY the inside arm to steer.
8. Roll on throttle.
* Gently apply as EARLY as possible.
* Inversely proportional to lean angle.
9. Push outside grip.
* Help throttle pick up bike.
* Maintain "V" position.
10. Move back to neutral.
* Only after bike is completely vertical.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm. I honestly have never heard of making the bike want to turn in by pushing outside bar pre turn in. Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
very big dumb
8,892 Posts
Hmmm. I honestly have never heard of making the bike want to turn in by pushing outside bar pre turn in. Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
think of it this way, once your body is over, you have to push the outside to keep going straight. as soon as you stop that, it will be like a small amount of countersteering. then add real countersteering and you've got your bike really dipping into the corner :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
589 Posts
The discussion is great idea and something every rider must have in order to become a better rider but you also have to remember that there are as many options about BP as there are riders trying to perfect it. There are so many variables, Bike, Seat height, peg height etc. All having an impact on your position. Do you have picks of you in a corner? Pictures and videos help me what I think I’m doing against what I I am actually doing. I have found that this is, at times a huge gap.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
think of it this way, once your body is over, you have to push the outside to keep going straight. as soon as you stop that, it will be like a small amount of countersteering. then add real countersteering and you've got your bike really dipping into the corner :eek:ccasion14:
Ah, I see. I was doing it without even knowing. haha. thanks :cheers

The discussion is great idea and something every rider must have in order to become a better rider but you also have to remember that there are as many options about BP as there are riders trying to perfect it. There are so many variables, Bike, Seat height, peg height etc. All having an impact on your position. Do you have picks of you in a corner? Pictures and videos help me what I think I’m doing against what I I am actually doing. I have found that this is, at times a huge gap.
I do have pics and my BP is NOWHERE NEAR what I envisioned I was doing in my mind. My butt is off the seat ok, but my upper body is not even close to where it should be......at least in those pics. I know for a fact that in certain corners I relaxed on BP b/c I was behind a slower rider and knew I would not need it, while in other corners I tried to have completely proper BP.

Pics here-->http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163308

·
very big dumb
8,892 Posts
hard to tell since pics are far away, but, it looks like your body is relatively fine, but your inside foot placement is unusual (you'll scrape toe before you scrape peg)
also, get your shoulders lower. "tits-to-the-tank" and "kiss your mirror". And get your body a bit more over on the bike. Shoulders over is more important than butt over.

look at ben. His foot is totaly inside of the peg with very little showing, he definitely won't scrape toe before he gets peg... (not that he's likely to scrape peg either)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh I scraped plenty of toe. My toe sliders are shot. haha. that is a huge point i need to work on. I have the tendency to point my toes out instead of tuck them in towards the bike. bad habit. I even have the svracing parts rear set risers on there. I do however keep the balls of my feet on the pegs

yeah, the kiss the mirror thing is ingrained in my mind, now i need to make it a habit. my whole upper body, like you said, needs to shift over more. and needs to be done consistently. Tits to tank is another good phrase to remember. thanks

·
Registered
589 Posts
I do have pics and my BP is NOWHERE NEAR what I envisioned I was doing in my mind. My butt is off the seat ok, but my upper body is not even close to where it should be......at least in those pics. I know for a fact that in certain corners I relaxed on BP b/c I was behind a slower rider and knew I would not need it, while in other corners I tried to have completely proper BP.

Pics here-->http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163308
VIR, I love that track. e is a shot of me there. And me @ CVR

A lot of work ( a couple years ) but notice im more upright. Not because I want to but because the way my seat is set up. No padding. Im to low in the bike to lay out on the tank. Again everyone is different. Id love to be one of those guys who's head is way down but I cant do it on my bike. But I still try to get my head down.

Then 2009

Now 1012

In a race,

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
very big dumb
8,892 Posts
keith code has a column in some magazine that i see once in a while, can't find it now, but he's got a new tip every issue

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Decent... but there are a lot of points he didn't hit on. All of the various benefits of a quick turn, all of the different things you need to take into consideration, specific input application technique, etc.

Guess he's gotta keep the customers coming back for more though, right? :p

This is probably the number 1 topic that I discuss with my personal instruction students. I've worked with probably 40-50 different track day riders and racers with this over the last couple of years and we get pretty in-depth with it. It's definitely a very important key to going fast for most (but not all) types of corners.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Safety Adviser
879 Posts
Some pics

You can use good body position even pulling a trailer.

·
Safety Adviser
879 Posts
Now a few from some pros!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts