Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, last night after work (dusk 5PM), I nearly killed a woman in her mid 20's. I was gingerly accelerating my frozen SV up the hill by my office and proceeded through an intersection at about 25 mph. The light had been green since I pulled onto the road about 1/4 mile earlier. For whatever reason, this stupid woman decides to step out right in front of me :mad: I mean it was close. I was shocked that I didn't go down braking hard on ice cold tires.

She smiled at me pleasantly as I unleashed a volley of verbal abuse that generally is heard only inside the helmet. How in the $*@K does a pedestrian fail to notice both the red light she is jay walking and the bright red bike with high beams blazing and growling in second gear through a TBR that hasn't been repacked in 35,000 miles? Oy!

And then, not 1/2 a mile later some idiot on a scooter came out of a parking lot out of control just as I reached it. I was so sure that he was going to hit the curb/sidewalk or lowside the thing that I was getting ready for the impact.

All I was trying to do was get my last minute Christmas shopping done. :'(

·
Registered
39 Posts
Some people just don't take the time to really LOOK at what's about to kill them. ::)

stranger said:
i feel sorry for the people you're getting presents for if you're picking them up on the bike :D :p
Why, the best gifts are on paper....(1,000,000 dollar bill perhaps).....and they fit neatly under the pillion.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stranger said:
i feel sorry for the people you're getting presents for if you're picking them up on the bike  :D  :p
One year I completed 100% of my shopping via bike.

This year I bought my wife a present that should not, in retrospect, have been transported via bike. She wanted some wicked high end knife so I figured, no problem it'll fit in the tankbag. Well, it came in a relatively flimsy cardboard box that stuck out 2" past the bag. I was thinking on some level, because I decided to stick the butt of the knife toward my stomach. I rode about 6 miles in constant fear of being hit.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
most places, pedestrians have the right of way, some are idiots enuf to exercise their right of way at the wrong time

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RandyO said:
most places, pedestrians have the right of way,  some are idiots enuf to exercise their right of way at the wrong time
Peds have the right of way in crosswalks here in VA and I will always stop. There are two problems with this woman's decision from a right-of-way standpoint, however. 1) She wasn't in a crosswalk and 2) Even if she had been in a crosswalk, the light takes priority over the crosswalk (a la jaywalking). It boils down to the fact that people are just too stupid to protect themselves. I'm a runner and while I've been guilty of forcing right of way, I only do it when I'm confident that I will be able to avoid a collision if I have to.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Nimbus said:
One year I completed 100% of my shopping via bike.

This year I bought my wife a present that should not, in retrospect, have been transported via bike. She wanted some wicked high end knife so I figured, no problem it'll fit in the tankbag. Well, it came in a relatively flimsy cardboard box that stuck out 2" past the bag. I was thinking on some level, because I decided to stick the butt of the knife toward my stomach. I rode about 6 miles in constant fear of being hit.
Whoa!! That's terrifying dude! Could you imagine what would happen in some freak accident? You would have be taken to the hospital to have a knife and fiber glass helmet surgically removed from your head!! Ewwwww!

·
Registered
973 Posts
yes nimbus, but some people dont care about being hit..they think if your on a motorcycle that you can maneuver around them..i have actually had on a couple different occassions , some dickhead step out in front of me just to be funny thinking i would swerve to miss him...and it would be fun to watch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts