1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
One of the guys here had it and said he liked the 636 better.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Given the price they are asking for that shock ... I would say no way.

Just a bit more and you got a Penske.
There is such a thing as a Penske Sport shock with no reservoir that you can add to later to make into a higher model.

MagpieTear also purchased recently a Hagon that he likes alot.

Resale on that progressive shock will suck.
At least on the other options you can get a good part of your money back.

I am of the same mind as you when it comes to cutting up the battery box to fit a shock that belongs on another bike.
Get what fits there to begin with and you are done with it.
Save your old parts so you can bring the bike back to stock when reselling as you will never get your money back.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Dont wanna cut stuff up?

Well, neither did I, so I purchased a Hagon.

I never got to install it, becuase I switched bikes, but I sold it to a forum member here( Magpie).

It does get mixed reviews, but that's because for truly all out sport riding(ie:track), there are better options, but from what I read........ for most normal spirited street riding, it does the trick.

http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/webc/HAGON_MONOSHOCKS.html

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
The Hagons make more sense at UK prices, where they're about half the price of a Penske or Ohlins. But they usually work out pretty pricey for the US I think.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Currently said:
Just a bit more and you got a Penske.
There is such a thing as a Penske Sport shock with no reservoir that you can add to later to make into a higher model.
This is the best option I've seen for those that want Penske perfomance on a budget. The only place you can buy this unit is from Traxxion.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
NOsquid said:
One of the guys here had it and said he liked the 636 better.
+1... that would be me.
It has NO rebound adjustment. It is a very well made shock and is a no-cutting easy install but is expensive and may be equal to but is certainly not better than the 636. I'm sure the same goes for the ZX10 & GSXR shocks to. If you're just looking for a "cheap" no fender cut install and don't mind spending the $$ then the 420 or Hagon would be a good choice.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much are the hagon shocks in the UK? Since I only paid $2700 for the bike my wife is very hesitatnt letting me do stuff to it. $375 for the Hagon isn't that bad but for $225 more for a penske sport I don't think I can justify that. I'll be lucky if I can justify the $100 for front springs and oil.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
£215 UK... Ohlins, for comparison, is I believe usually around £450. Penske's not very common over here, they don't seem to have a good distributor.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Northwind said:
£215 UK... Ohlins, for comparison, is I believe usually around £450. Penske's not very common over here, they don't seem to have a good distributor.
215UK = $378 US. Add Shipping and customs and you prolly are talking about $450 us. Does the US pay VAT? If so, the Penske is a better deal.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
after looking at the hagon and the progressive I think the progressive looks better.  The build quality of the progressive was excellent and the Hagon's fit and finish doesn't look as good.  The progressive's body also looks bigger which should allow for better a better gas reservoir.  

For a street rider just looking for a better ride I think the Ohlins & Penske are both a huge investment.  

PS: I found the 420 listed for $333.  I'd still go with a 636 though  ;D

http://www.mawonline.com/progress.htm

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Hmm, I've never heard the Hagons criticised for build quality, and they see some miles too... They're known for long service periods too.

I agree that an Ohlins or Penske's a huge wad to blow for a road shock. But I'll also say I wouldn't go back. Mine is out of the bike for a regas and to get a 105N spring into it at the mo, and I've got my standard shock back in. All I can say about that is I'm pretty glad I did it in winter when I've got no real urge to crank it up and when common sense keeps speeds down.

I reckon the revalved option's a sensible middle ground, myself- nothing wrong with the 636 or GSXR options either, for that matter. But the edge that the 636 and GSXR, standard, have is that if you don't like it, you don't lose a penny- you just sell it on again and get something better, or get it revalved. Job's a good 'un. If you buy a revalved shock or a full-on aftermarket and you don't like it, you're going to take a hell of a hit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts