Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
problems with.6 piston calipers on gixxer front end

Ive raced my gen 1 sv now for half a season. Its fitted with a gsxr600/750/1000 front end setup that has been resprung and reoiled to suit my weight.
Brakes wise Im running a set of tokico 6 pot clipers.
They are driving me crazy --Im finding im overbraking the bike or im too darned scared to grab a handfull so I'm braking too early.
Any advise please would be greatly apreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Re: problems with.6 piston calipers on gixxer front end

More balls???? ;D

Kidding... I think you just need to get a feel for them. More time on the track should help this. Each corner... leave yourself some room and brake later and later. Do this for one corner only per lap. This will help your confidence and show you the limit of your brakes.

Good luck...

·
Registered
10,246 Posts

frosty said:
Ive raced my gen 1 sv now for half a season. Its fitted with a  gsxr600/750/1000 front end setup  that has been resprung and reoiled to suit my weight.
Brakes wise Im running a set of tokico 6 pot clipers.
They are driving me crazy --Im finding im overbraking the bike  or im too darned scared to grab a handfull so I'm braking too early.
Any advise please would be greatly apreciated.
Possible try a radial master cylinder... if Im not mistaken, there are different ones you can get for different lever "feel"

·
Registered
449 Posts

Buy TWF's shirt!! ;D :D ;D :p

Grav.

·
Registered
606 Posts

Try 4 pots, they may feel a lot different to you.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks guys--I've been thinking maybee I've overbraked my bike -so either a set of 4 pots or a different master --yep
stupid thing was i was outbraking guys on zxr400's (4 piston calipers) with the stock brakes.
My "trick" is to go inside other guys and just keep on the gas longer and brake harder.
By "scarey" I mean the front end is locked up[ and sliding -kinda defeats the idea of outbraking people.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts

The 4-pots will still lock the front wheel if you have a heavy hand- the 6 pots have more power, but it's simply power 9/10 people don't need, and the tradeoff is feel and subtlety- in other words, the ability to actually use the power you have. Maybe for serious track use, i can't comment on that tbh, but for road use the 4-pots have all the power you could possibly want.

Plus, the 6-pots are absolute ****ers to maintain- not only more susceptible to road muck than the 4-pots, but 12xdust seals and 12x fluid seals soon adds up ;)

·
Registered
505 Posts

I like the feel of the 4-pots MUCH better than the 6-pots. There's still enough power to flip you on your head, and it's easier for me to modulate for trial-braking.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts

Try a master cylinder with a different bore. The larger the bore the more force is needed at the lever for a given amount of braking force and the lever travels less. The smaller the bore the less force is needed at the lever but the lever travels further. Different folks have different opinions on what gives them more control, force modulation or travel.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts

While I'm running an 18x18 Brembo radial, because I don't like the feel of the 19x20s. As Andy says, a lot of it's about personal taste- I like a lever that travels, many (most?) people don't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts