Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on installing my new Suburban Machinery Type 2 handlebar, and everything was going smoothly until i tested the throttle. The throttle tube is sticking badly, and it looks like it's because either the bar is slightly oversized or because of the relatively unfinished surface of the new handlebars. Has anyone had this problem? How did you solve it? The obvious solution to me is snad and polish the bar under the throttle tube, but why the hell should I have to do finish work on a handlebar I paid $140 for?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Unfinished?

Mine were slick as a baby's butt when I got them and fairly shiney. I'm not sure what the deal is with yours. Plus my throttle tube slides on and off the bars with ease. My question is, did you get grip glue under your throttle tube?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shiny? Nope, mine have a satin finish and feel it to. I'm sure I don't have any grip glue in the throttle tube, I cleaned it over very well before I installed it. Plus, I grabbed my old handlebar, installed the throttle on it and it worked fine. Put it back on the SM and it's sticking again.

Did i just get a pair of unfinished handlebars here?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Nope. Satin finish is correct.

Make sure the throttle tube isn't rubbing against a bar end if there's one installed.
Make sure your cables are adjusted properly. The return cable especially.

I have the SM2 bars myself - no problems with the installation. You're probably just missing something very trivial.

A

·
0 Posts
most likely your cable, check the routing to make sure they arent binding anywhere.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
That's something I didn't know

Suburban Machinery bars are $140! That's nuts. I went to their site, and they do look like well-made pieces, but the cost is excessive. Powder coated steel bars are available from $15. Fancy aluminum bars run about $80. Am I the only one who thinks $140 is a bit steep.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I bought mine used for $100. Which yeah.. steep.. but oh so worth it. The bars are really top notch and they don't flex or bend like the cheapo $15 bars. I've used them enough on my old RD. One set of these will last me for a long time.

For the install with mine... No issues. They are satin finished and everything slid on and worked fine. I needed no adjustements.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry to bring back this old topic, but it's better than opening a new one. ;)

I bought a handlebar conversion for my SV650S last year, because I couldn't take the pain in my back anymore when I was riding. Now that I've been on the track, I find the Superbike handlebar I have too wide and too high. Although my back has become a bit better, I can't go back to clip-ons because I'm also using my bike on the street. I've been looking at the SM type 1 and 2 bars and that could be the solution for me. But I do have some questions about them.

- First, what is the exact difference between the type 1 and 2 bars? I can't really see any on the pics on their website? They say the type 2 is higher, but wouldn't that also be possible with the type 1 by mounting it more towards you??? :?:
And does this also goes for the type 2 bars; that mounting it more towards the rider gives you an even more upward position?

- Second, does anyone have any decent pics of a type 2 bar mounted. SM doesn't. :( I especially would like some pics from the side, so I can compare the throttle position with my own Superbike handlebar. I'd also like to see a wider picture than that SM has on their website, so I can see how wide the handlebar is.

Thanks alot! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts