Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got myself a rear seat cowl for my o4 sv650s. Just doesnt seem like it fits right. Has anyone had the same problem?

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
C5quest said:
Got myself a rear seat cowl for my o4 sv650s. Just doesnt seem like it fits right. Has anyone had the same problem?
Can you esplain a bit more Lucy??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya, the cowl fits but it doesnt line up the way it should. not a tight fit either.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
C5quest said:
ya, the cowl fits but it doesnt line up the way it should. not a tight fit either.
Brand and Pics maybe???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dont have any close up pics yet. ill do that when i get home. Its an after market suzuki part. its not real obvious but it bothers me ya know.

G

·
0 Posts
Yes, this is experienced by pretty much everyone with the OEM cowl.

If the search function here weren't, well, broken and less useful than a solar powered flashlight you could easily look up the last thread about it...

But since the search function here IS broken and less useful than a solar powered flashlight, I can at least pass along one trick that makes it fit a little better...

Swap the rubber cushions on the cowl with the ones on the passenger seat. This will make it sit lower and closer to the bodywork. Note that this will also have the effect of making the tab in the back loose, so you may want to tape some kleenex or something over the top of the tab.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
C5quest said:
I had the same thing when I bought a cowl for my 2003 SV1K...almost like a huge gap all the way around. Here is what I did:

1. Remove the two rubber bumpers that are on the cowl.....towards the rear end.
2. Now take the seat you took off, and remove its two bumpers. You will notice that the bumpers on the seat are a couple mm's shorter than the ones that came with the cowl.
3. Swap the bumpers. Tip: I used spit as lubrication to get the bumpers into those tight little holes.
4. Now you will have a slight gap between where the tab on the cowl where it slides into the bracket that you bolted on to hold the rear of the clowl in place. Take a piece of anything, rubber, carboard, etc, and tape it to the "up" side of the tab for the cowl. This will hold it in place better, and keep it from bouncing up and down when installed.

I hope this helps...PM me if you need more info. I think this makes the "lines" of the bike look like they should.

Here is a pic of mine:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
gumpish said:
Yes, this is experienced by pretty much everyone with the OEM cowl.

If the search function here weren't, well, broken and less useful than a solar powered flashlight you could easily look up the last thread about it...

But since the search function here IS broken and less useful than a solar powered flashlight, I can at least pass along one trick that makes it fit a little better...

Swap the rubber cushions on the cowl with the ones on the passenger seat. This will make it sit lower and closer to the bodywork. Note that this will also have the effect of making the tab in the back loose, so you may want to tape some kleenex or something over the top of the tab.
oops, didn't see your post too. LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys

·
Registered
505 Posts
back from the dead!!! lol. So hey is there a way to make this fit a little better? I took the rubber stoppers off the seat and put them on the cowl but it still looks funky.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Looks OK to me..there will always be some gap there.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
You could possibly put some black weather-safe tubing in there to fill that gap :dontknow:

DougZ said:
3. Swap the bumpers. Tip: I used spit as lubrication to get the bumpers into those tight little holes.
I can't find DougZ spit on the fiche :dontknow:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Cool, I just didnt know if I could make it any better or not. Would you put the tubing on the cowl or "in" the tail?

Definately looks much better w/ that grab bar taken off

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I dunno how it'd look, but maybe some tubing or stripping attached to the tail cowl so when yuo put it on it fills that gap in.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here's a pic of mine with no alteration (hard to see from that angle but it sits about a cm or so higher than the rest of the plastic):

I knew it wasn't flush but everything was as tight as it could go so I didn't think I could make it any better. Will try your guy's tips. Thanks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
285 Posts
DougZ said:
I had the same thing when I bought a cowl for my 2003 SV1K...almost like a huge gap all the way around. Here is what I did:

1. Remove the two rubber bumpers that are on the cowl.....towards the rear end.
2. Now take the seat you took off, and remove its two bumpers. You will notice that the bumpers on the seat are a couple mm's shorter than the ones that came with the cowl.
4. Now you will have a slight gap between where the tab on the cowl where it slides into the bracket that you bolted on to hold the rear of the clowl in place. Take a piece of anything, rubber, carboard, etc, and tape it to the "up" side of the tab for the cowl. This will hold it in place better, and keep it from bouncing up and down when installed.

I hope this helps...PM me if you need more info. I think this makes the "lines" of the bike look like they should.

Here is a pic of mine:
Did this, layered tape on the top side of the tab. Stopped the up an down movement, but the cowl is still able to jiggle forwards and back a few mm. Enough to bug me...

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
That's off Bif....the key lock part should keep it from moving back and forth????

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Turd Ferguson said:
They must be doing some cleaning or something...I didn't look at the dates, but it showed up as a new reply in my thread list today. Talk to management.....NMP...LOL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts