Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ran into a couple of snags with my fork oil change.

1) I can't get one of the bolts to disconnect the tube. :angry1:

This step from the incredibly helpful blue haired girl (her pic, not mine).

I can loosen the bolt, but the tube never releases. Only one fork leg is like this. The other one came apart fine. Any ideas?

2) Both of my fork tubes are slightly bent. No creases, just a slight bend. Anyone know where I can get replacement used tubes? Or a cheap place to have them straightened? I'm in Austin, TX.
Nothing good is on eBay right now. And the only tubes on the for sale section here, are mated to poorly painted black sliders.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
The damper rod is spinning in the tube. Have a helper pull back on the fork tube, i.e like they're trying to extend the fork and then hit the bolt with the impact gun.

Why do you care how the sliders are painted?? Just mate the good tubes with your sliders.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't have an impact gun. :(
I was definately pulling them apart while spinning the bolt. I'll have to find a helper as you suggest.

I'm not paying extra to pay for crappy looking sliders that I'll never use. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Veee :lol: That is the blue haired girl's hammer, not mine. :)

Well I couldn't find any forks anywhere and don't want to wait for the next good deal, so I went ahead and bought the ugly black forks.

If anyone wants some bent fork tubes, just let me know. I'll work a good deal for you. ;)

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
You're changing fork oil. Why are you disassembling the forks? The bolt you are trying to loosen hold the damper rod in. The only reason to remove that bolt is to change the damper rods or replace seals. You could have held the fork tubes upside down and let them drain for a while (10 minutes or so) and refill.

·
Registered
799 Posts
You're changing fork oil. Why are you disassembling the forks? The bolt you are trying to loosen hold the damper rod in. The only reason to remove that bolt is to change the damper rods or replace seals. You could have held the fork tubes upside down and let them drain for a while (10 minutes or so) and refill.
maybe to change bent tubes? :D
only real and 100% way to change oil is to take forks apart and clean them.
you can never drain all of it by turning forks upside down and worst mud is what stays in. you put new oil in and it is contaminated before you even stroke fork once.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I got my rod bolts out but having the for assembled and removing the bolt. The pressure from the spring held the rod in place

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Like others have said, you are spinning the damper rod in there. The answer to your dis assembly problem is here...

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=97973

As far as the forks being bent goes I would post a want to buy in the wanted section. There was one auction on ebay item number 190302294196

Good luck! ;D

P.S. I didn't have to use an impact wrench, just a good quality t-handle hex.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good advice, everyone. Sabathius that was a helpful link. Now I understand what you're all talking about when you mention sticks. duh.
I'll work on it this weekend. Hopefully the new forks will be here by then!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts