Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, some of you may know that two weeks ago scumbag thieves broke into my garage to steal my SVS. Fortunately for one reason or another they weren't able to pull it off.

Damage to the bike consisted (as I was able to determine):

• Wires to the ignition cut.
  • Triple clamp scratched and scuffed really badly.
  • Tank propped up busting off both side engine covers.
  • Tank bolts gone.

So I thought if I was able to get a new ignition set and plug it in I'd be all set right? Well not exactly.

To complicate things further I decided that I should do my GSX-R front end swap at the same time since I had the bike apart. That went relatively smoothly and the new front end is on.

But when I reconnect all the plugs up front and install the new ignition and turn the key.... nothing! No power whatsoever. No gauges, no starter relay clicking over, nothing. I have no clue what could be wrong.

Things I have already checked.

• The battery is fine, and fully charged (its been on my battery tender the whole time).
  • All fuses are fine.
  • The ignition is the correct part number and correctly plugged in.
  • I can't find anything else out of place on the wiring harness, the ignition wire is the only thing that was cut. I am planning to go over it all againt tomorrow morning--maybe I missed something?

Unfortunately, I don't own a circuit tester, but I may be able to borrow one. Not that I really know how to use it.

What I am wondering is if there is some sort of reset I have to do with the ECU or fusebox to get power to the bike again. Its really frustrating!

Thanks for any ideas you guys might have (preferrably those who've been through this kind of attempted theft before.)

·
Registered
166 Posts
you may have to get a multimeter and check some of those wires they cut. It may have damaged a fuse or relay since I think there is a couple of wires with constant power, and if they cut all wires at once, it may have tripped a relay or fuse! Good luck and I hope you find the problem soon! :)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, a little progress... :)

This morning I found another fuse this time in the starter relay behind the ECU and sure enough it was blown! So replaced and now I have power. What a difference a night's sleep makes.

Still though, even though I have power I don't hear the starter winding up as usual. The start button and kill switch have no effect, but the hazard lights work so that connection is at least partially functioning. All of the electrical works... lights horn blinkers ect... Also the guages are normal.. no FI light blinking, but it does say CHEC as though the kill switch is engaged. I'm thinking there must be a loose connection somewhere.

If anyone has any other ideas? Thanks! ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts