Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How effective are the fender extenders on preventing the Sv325? Are the worth the money or should I try to build my own part to help cover the front cylinder a bit more?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That works but occasionally I have to ride in heavy rain and dielectric grease only does so much.

·
Registered
968 Posts
you could fashion a metal plate to attach where the rubber mud guard is on the bottom of the radiator that extends a little farther than the original guard. i forget who it is here but they did that + dialectric grease and they havent had a problem since.

im probably going to look into doing that sometime soon.

·
Registered
688 Posts
A fender extender is the most effective thing you can put on. I built my own from some metal:

More pics at http://66.111.15.243/fender/

You could also build one from fiberglass, and have better control of the curves.
How does that pass inspection haha - My mechanic would yell at me "NO SHARP EDGES!"

Good idea though I might make one myself ;) ... perhaps out of plastic from another fender though...

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
You mean the edges of the metal? They're filed down. Or the screws? Those are trimmed and clear the wheel. The extenda from Pyramid (I think it was) is only $45, that's not a lot to save yourself a lot of headaches and dangerous riding conditions.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The edge of the metal I think would be his concern (I don't worry about too many sharp things...honestly... just a inspection thing in PA) -

They don't want sharp objects coming off your bike and decapitating people I guess.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
The footpegs could do a number on a body if the bike went flying. And I pass pickups with loose stuff in their bed all the time. But yeah, inspections in NYC only involve lights and horn. Maybe run a rubber gasket around it :p

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I made a fender extender out of a piece of thin rubber sheet, then made a 2x7"shield out of .015 alum. & attached it to the base of the Radiator..never had another prob. again.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
the only way to totally prevent Sv325 is to not ride in rain, but not necessarily in order of priority

1. maintenance, clean the drain hole routinely
2. when changing spark plugs, insert the boot correctly so that it isn't deformed and seals the plug cavity, if it deforms, replace it
3. dielectric or anti oxident grease ( I reccomend antioxident grease -Deoxit L260 or similar instead of dielectric grease)
4. fender extender

1 - 13 of 13 Posts