Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went down hard two years ago from speed wobble and want to prevent it if at all possible on my new sv1000s. After I had the accident I discovered there were a ton of things I should have been doing that I wasn't doing. In addition to the check list below anything you recommend to prevent speed wobble.

1) Have suspension set up
2) Make sure steering dampner has fresh oil
3) Have forks inspected
4) Have wheel bearing inspected
5) Don't use "fix a flat" in your motorcycle tires especially traveling at high speeds
6) Have steering column bearings inspected
7) Don't grip handle bars with "death grip" rather offset weight with thighs
8) Don't accelerate hard on public streets if the street is grooved, uneven, or worn.
9) Always check for tightness/looseness of chain
10) Keep bike in tip top shape regardless of cost

Any other things to add to the list. BTW I crashed a 2003 TL1000r after really bad speed wobble at high speeds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've never read that tank-slappers particularly affect SV's providing everything is maintained. I shouldn't worry so long as your bike is essentially standard.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
All of what you listed is good but speed wobbles will happen. I have them alot when I push really hard at the track the best way to deal with them is always making sure that you give yourself alot of room where ever you are riding and staying calm is probably the best way to come back from a tank slapper. Gorrilia gripping your bars is probably what made it worse to the point that you crashed. Usually on really rough roads I expect it to happen and try even harder to keep a light touch on the bars. One things that also helps is giving your hands a bit more room if you have clipons you can do this. While sitting on the bike and the front wheel straight turn the bars from side to side and see how much room you have between the tank/frame and hands. If you have less than an inch I would loosen and rotate the bars until I had at least 1 inch of room. Just in case you have another wobble you can still hold on to the bars without the fear of bashing your hands against the tank and frame.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
The stock SV1K damper is a good part plagued by inferior assembly. They used some vile whale urine instead of good fork oil in them which makes a stock one pretty much useless. Take your stocker off and work the piston in and out quickly in the middle of the travel where it will be when going straight. If yours is like mine, it has air inside and you'll be able to easily work the piston with little resistance.

There is a little plug that you can remove to drain out the whale urine and put in some 5W or 10W fork oil. I used the heavier stuff and it works great. Get all the air out and you'll be pleased with the result vs the stock setup. Then you can relax and enjoy your ride with little fear of the wobble/slappers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I tightened my steering bearings from just barely contacting to closer to the spec and it has made things much more stable at speed.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
If you find yourself in another speed wobble and can remember, tap your rear brakes during the wobble to stop the wobble. This will change the trail, slow you down and take your focus off of grabbing the bars to death. Remembering will probably be the hardest part, so like others have said, give yourself lots of room and don't ride over your head, street or track.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts