Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

401 - 407 of 407 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,126 Posts
That doesn't mean that you understand enough to explain the political process: how to get government to do the things you want done.
i dont think anyone could talk an entire "profession" out of existence...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
i dont think anyone could talk an entire "profession" out of existence...
Your explanation of "government" based on your experience as a contractor working for DoD for few months; that's without consideration of others, other government branches, agencies, social programs.

You stated youeself: you refuse to discuss politics with your local elected officials, refuse to participate in elections.

Like I said before:
Privilege is when you think something is not a problem because it's not a problem to you personally.
When in actuality, it may be a big problem for others.

·
Super Moderator
8,126 Posts
Like I said before:
Privilege is when you think something is not a problem because it's not a problem to you personally.
When in actuality, it may be a big problem for others.
I think you're missing the point. Things may very well be humongous problems for others. But that's THEIR problem. Not mine. However, someone forcing me to help with their problems IS my problem. In that sense, the privilege of not caring is something I have, yes.

If I want to help, that should be my choice. If something isn't working for me, I deal with it. I dont force someone else to deal with it.

most of the problems in this world are BECAUSE of government. asking government to help with them is... oxymoronic?

Robert A. Heinlein — 'There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.'

You stated youeself: you refuse to discuss politics with your local elected officials, refuse to participate in elections.
because there's no point. nothing will change. no flavor of government will ever do anything to remove itself from existence. their "job" is to create rules. they dont want their job to stop existing. anarchists dont run for office much like atheists dont preach in church. So why waste my energy?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I think you're missing the point. Things may very well be humongous problems for others. But that's THEIR problem. Not mine. However, someone forcing me to help with their problems IS my problem. In that sense, the privilege of not caring is something I have, yes.

If I want to help, that should be my choice. If something isn't working for me, I deal with it. I dont force someone else to deal with it.

most of the problems in this world are BECAUSE of government. asking government to help with them is... oxymoronic?

Robert A. Heinlein — 'There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.'
Exact mentality that hinder the progress of humans on this earth, inability to see beyond him/herself for the common good.

because there's no point. nothing will change. no flavor of government will ever do anything to remove itself from existence. their "job" is to create rules. they dont want their job to stop existing. anarchists dont run for office much like atheists dont preach in church. So why waste my energy?
It is your choice not to use your energy to influence & participate in making the rules that pertain to you from government; don't try to blame the government for making rules you don't like.
Do you think it makes any different if I don't toss a single plastic bottle in the ocean? no, but millions of people who think it doesn't matter, that's millions of bottles in the ocean.
Does millions of plastic bottle bother you? maybe not, but eventually when enough bottles fill up the oceans.. it might be a different story.

·
Super Moderator
8,126 Posts
Exact mentality that hinder the progress of humans on this earth, inability to see beyond him/herself for the common good.
"the common good" will depend on your opinion... the common good by some outlook may be for 90% of the population of the world to die off so that there are enough resources for everyone and the animals survive. Not a thing I believe, but an extreme example.

Another "for the common good" example (once again, one I dont subscribe to) could be sharia law (hell, any strict religious law really). The ones who want it think that by making everyone follow strict rules with no room for interpretation, they're making their world better. Once again, a "common good" for some seems a bit nutty to others. Take this example and how far away you want the rules that apply to you and those around you to be, and take an equal step further and you get to me.

there are things that I do which help the common good in my view of it. There are things the rest of the world does that don't match my outlook. I do not force mine on them, but somehow theirs is forced on me. I do not go around campaigning for the removal of social safety nets, but I'm definitely annoyed that they're at the expense of my tax bill. If someone wants to help the poor by contributing to a charity, that's their choice (guess what, I do). If our government wants to help the poor by funding welfare, that's not my choice (neither in the mandate nor the executor).

It is your choice not to use your energy to influence & participate in making the rules that pertain to you from government; don't try to blame the government for making rules you don't like.
They can make all sorts of stupid rules, and I'll continue to ignore them and live by my own set. It's like being mad at the weather. I can say it's a useless structure, but that isn't going to change anything. I cant blame them for doing the thing that they're getting paid to do (make rules). I can however say that they have only a limited power over me.

If lanesplitting is legalized by law for example... I'll still do it when I feel it's necessary and still not do it when I feel it's dangerous or unnecessary. What changes because a law is created?

as long as i've had a licence, I've been passing people over double yellows thinking that it was something I could be cited for. A couple years ago I discovered there was never a law written prohibiting it and there is nothing the police in PA can do about it. If one is added, my behavior is not going to change.

This concept isn't limited to driving. All sorts of activities happen despite regulation or despite lack of regulation. It's as natural to humans to do their own thing as it is for some of the mentally ill to try to force others to do things their way.

Do you think it makes any different if I don't toss a single plastic bottle in the ocean? no, but millions of people who think it doesn't matter, that's millions of bottles in the ocean.
Does millions of plastic bottle bother you? maybe not, but eventually when enough bottles fill up the oceans.. it might be a different story.
personal responsibility and environmental awareness is something I do believe in. Not as rules to be forced onto anyone, but as behavior that can be encouraged. The law doesnt matter. It's the individual who is responsible for his own actions.

·
Super Moderator
8,126 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I used to be just like you: I don't need to think of anyone else.

Those who have problems that can't get by on their own is their problem.

Those who can't help themselves don't deserve any help from me.

As long as my world is insulated from all the ugly facts in the world; everything is just someone else's problem.

I don't need to learn understand other people's situations because they are not my problem.

I don't need to participate in political process because it's not going to make any difference anyway.

401 - 407 of 407 Posts