Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I'm Marcc from Brazil and I'd like present my 19 SV650A. It's still under construction, but three goes some pics: 20191014_072758_1573144303116.jpg
20191103_170345_HDR(1)_1573143831866.jpg 20191027_175853_1573143907267.jpg 20191027_175505_1573143937596.jpg 20191030_181729_1573144433651.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm still choosing some parts to buy, as the 650X upper clamp and a cafe racer fairing, these mirrors will be changed too, a lot of things will change in the future.
Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've installed a hybrid full exhaust system which can be silent or not depending on the setup. Next mod I'll change the headlight bracket for a custom made one and also the clutch cable, because of the clipons. Any ideas are wellcome!
Screenshot_2019-11-07-13-45-56(1)_1573145233844.jpg Screenshot_2019-11-07-13-41-35(1)_1573144957188.jpg Screenshot_2019-11-07-13-45-45(1)_1573145222036.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bemvindo Marcc!

So are you using some of the 650X parts on yours and are you finding those parts working? It would be interesting to see that upper small fairing from the X on a regular SV with the higher bars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bemvindo Marcc!

So are you using some of the 650X parts on yours and are you finding those parts working? It would be interesting to see that upper small fairing from the X on a regular SV with the higher bars.
Hi Erika! All my parts are from local companies here in Brazil. Most of than are universal parts, like the clipons. Import parts is very expensive to me because of currency, so some parts I buy from local companies and other I do myself, as the number plate.

I have returned to the stock exhaust due to legal problems, and I'm thinking about a hand made bar in order to remove the clipons too, the hole left behind by the bar is bothering me rsrsrs

Guys I want to see your bikes!

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi and welcome, I like the exhaust headers. Who makes them?
Craig, I removed the exhaust from my bike due to legal problems, I can send it for you if you want! Send me a text on whatsapp if you want: +5571992401885
:eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does someone uses steering damper? I need one and its really hard to find! The one I bought on aliexpress has exploded in the first use, now a need a high quality one. Thanks!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Craig, I removed the exhaust from my bike due to legal problems, I can send it for you if you want! Send me a text on whatsapp if you want: +5571992401885
:eek:ccasion14:
Thanks Marc - but I am happy with the standard headers now that I have a Yoshimura TRS exhaust can :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys, I have to lift the rear of my SV, it's hitting some speed bumps, specially when my wife is with me.

Should I make shorter or longer links?
In my old hayabusa I had to shorter the links, I don't know if it should be the same for the SV, could you please help me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Can you not adjust the sag?
Adjusting the SAG should only change the amount of downforce required to start compressing the spring, it shouldn't make it stiffer.
If he is bottoming out when travelling with pillion rider, I'd venture the only way to prevent this is switching to a stiffer shock spring.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Adjusting preload will raise the place where the suspension is (sag) before the input (bump) compresses the suspension. Therefore it has farther to travel before it bottoms and will require more force to bottom it. It doesn't change the spring rate. Usually one just cranks the preload up when carrying a passenger. If you carry a passenger all the time, a stiffer spring is recommended because the stock spring is not spec'ed for the weight of two people. Most people only carry a passenger once in a while so having the right spring for 5% of the time and wrong for 95% really isn't a good choice.

On an interesting side note, my FJR has a lever that people think is a preload adjuster but it isn't. It has a dual rate rear spring and the lever locks up the lower rate part of the spring effectively changing the spring rate for heavy loads.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I might be wrong but ... The amount of downward force required to compress the shock spring to the point the shock bottoms out is fixed and not influenced by the spring preload; it's a simple physics law: F = K * X, where F is the downward force, K is the spring stiffness and X is the total shock/spring travel.

Let's say that to bottom out the shock you need to compress the spring by some 130mm: the force value required to compress the spring by 130mm is always the same and not influenced by the preload.

Preload only had effect on how much force you need to apply to start (further) compressing the spring.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I might be wrong but ... The amount of downward force required to compress the shock spring to the point the shock bottoms out is fixed and not influenced by the spring preload; it's a simple physics law: F = K * X, where F is the downward force, K is the spring stiffness and X is the total shock/spring travel.

Let's say that to bottom out the shock you need to compress the spring by some 130mm: the force value required to compress the spring by 130mm is always the same and not influenced by the preload.

Preload only had effect on how much force you need to apply to start (further) compressing the spring.
You are correct except that the preload raises the static ride height so now the shock has to compress further to bottom out. If you raise the ride height 25mm via the preload adjuster now it takes 155mm of stroke to bottom the shock using your 130mm example This obviously takes more force than the 130mm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys, the spring is already at the stiffer position. I wont change the spring because it's too expensive and it is not in my plans. Some speed bumps are very tall here in Brazil, other are so low that we can pass without braking... Even when I'm alone it hits sometimes. Lifting the bike is the better solution so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All right, I already ordered a lift kit and a new handlebar, now I have another challenge for you, guys. I need stainless steel brake lines! Does someone know about any plug and play kit? Mine has ABS. Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Marc,

What type of fairing/windscreen is currently on the bike? I think it's the perfect size! If you have a link to it that would be good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts