Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was at the dealership pricing out new pilot powers for my bike, i know the dealership is a rip off, but  wanted the part numbers from parts unlimited...anywho... a salemen said he has some old race take-offs, powers... 120/60r17 front and 170/60r17 rear. he said the center tread is fine and should last the rest of the summer and the edges were a lil'a frayed.  $100 bucks for the set. should i do it? if the y are take-offs shouldnt they be a lil' beat? is it worth it?

the dealership[ qoute me 110.36 for the front and 137.96 for the rear.

·
Registered
430 Posts
powers are not race tires. Usually take-offs are about $100 but you should be getting real race tires. I wouldn't use the 170 rear either.... usually race tires are 120/70 front and 160/60 rear for an sv.....I'd stay away from that deal

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know take-offs are usally race pucks...the guys races an f2. imo spending 100 bones on some used pucks aint a bad deal, but most of you know better than i.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
170 vs 160? thought a 170 would be a lil better? i know 160 is stock, but doesnt a 170 improve handling but makes the bike slower?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Stay away from race take off's unless your racing on the track all the time, or you will have a tire that will get real hard in the next 6 months.

+1 on the wrong size. You can use a 170, but it will be very hard to use it to the full potential. It will also decrease performance.

A

·
0 Posts
Blah, blah, blah... Bigger tire (no experience) will slow.... Blah, Blah, Blah...... Won't use it all..... Blah, blah, blah;....... All these answers are irrelevant cause they have not tried a larger rear tire. YES a 170 will fit on the stock. YES, it will turn in faster cause of the profile steepening. YES, I know from experience. I now run a 180 on a F3 and the same is true. There is a reason that different tires have different profiles. A 170 is fine on a 4.5" and will quirken turn in a bit. Just like dropping the front forks in the triple.

And for the duesch that wrecked on MEZ-1's, wake up their a race tire. They'll never get up to temp on the street. Figure out what your doing before you do it! Or your gonna end up killing yourself or someone else. 40mph in 4th?? ;D Idiot! What were your RPM's at that speed in that gear? 3K?? No wonder you biffed. And after all that BS you expect us to think your experienced and know what's going on??? Yeah right! Track rider too, huh? ;D That's funny.

The Power is a excellent tire. Track or street. Make your own decision, but don't listen to these inexperienced morons. 8)

·
Registered
238 Posts
atrialfib said:
And for the duesch
Were you not the one making fun of the kid's spelling who crashed?

I'm beginning to think you're not a very nice lady. ;)

·
Registered
430 Posts
atrialfib said:
Make your own decision, but don't listen to these inexperienced morons. 8)
and we should listen to you becasue you insult everyone on the thread? Welcome to the board...nice to have another know-it-all.

·
Registered
110 Posts
atrialfib said:
Blah, blah, blah... Bigger tire (no experience) will slow.... Blah, Blah, Blah...... Won't use it all..... Blah, blah, blah;....... All these answers are irrelevant cause they have not tried a larger rear tire. YES a 170 will fit on the stock. YES, it will turn in faster cause of the profile steepening. YES, I know from experience. I now run a 180 on a F3 and the same is true. There is a reason that different tires have different profiles. A 170 is fine on a 4.5" and will quirken turn in a bit. Just like dropping the front forks in the triple.

The Power is a excellent tire. Track or street. Make your own decision, but don't listen to these inexperienced morons. 8)
Aside from your comment about powers being an excellent tire, the information in your post is incorrect.

Before you insult everyone on this board and call us inexperienced morons, you should double check your information.

A wider rear tire makes handling, in general, more sluggish. It?s a tradeoff, you get more grip in exchange for what people think of as flickability.

We are off topic from the original question, so I don?t want to continue too long. But answer me this, if wider is better for handling and provides more grip, why aren?t we all running 190s stock?

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
atrialfib said:
And for the duesch that wrecked on MEZ-1's, wake up their a race tire.
That's spelled DOUCHE.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ivan said:
I think the 6.0 inch rim/tire combo looks awesome; tire is humongous. Makes my 4.5 wee wee shrivel up with inadequacy...
ROFL ;) :D :D

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
spuds said:
so i was at the dealership pricing out new pilot powers for my bike, i know the dealership is a rip off, but  wanted the part numbers from parts unlimited...anywho... a salemen said he has some old race take-offs, powers... 120/60r17 front and 170/60r17 rear. he said the center tread is fine and should last the rest of the summer and the edges were a lil'a frayed.  $100 bucks for the set. should i do it? if the y are take-offs shouldnt they be a lil' beat? is it worth it?

the dealership[ qoute me 110.36 for the front and 137.96 for the rear.
pay for someone's worn out tires :D :D :D, if you have chicken strips on your current tires, wider than the frayed edges on the take offs, then these are probably for you ::)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes i have chicken strips....im a newb and was a squid for a time... burnouts kill a tire...found that out real quick.
ok it seems that i will be getting new powers. i will call my parts umlimted distrib and get some new tires. thx all you guys....

A

·
0 Posts
Scotch said:
Aside from your comment about powers being an excellent tire, the information in your post is incorrect.

Before you insult everyone on this board and call us inexperienced morons, you should double check your information.

A wider rear tire makes handling, in general, more sluggish.  It?s a tradeoff, you get more grip in exchange for what people think of as flickability.

We are off topic from the original question, so I don?t want to continue too long.  But answer me this, if wider is better for handling and provides more grip, why aren?t we all running 190s stock? 
And you know this from experience, right?? I think not seeing as how you didn't use any personal examples. Your just another lemming (I have seen this used on here before and this is where it fit's best). Your using others out their ass opinions. Try figuring something out for yourself for once and quit repeating what some other jack ass said. I speak from first hand experience. I have tried a 160, a 170 on a 4.5" and now a 180. Not for looks, but for more rubber to the ground when leaned over to prevent a lowside. I guess you can't understand that though cause your a lemming and just repeat others words, whom are puppets too. Jack balls! Figure stuff out and then speak up, or just shut the fu#$ up! Enough said on that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think Randy is on to something there. If you do have the stripes and aren't ready to get super aggresive in your riding than the take offs would probably work alright for you. Since most of your riding will be on the center. Makes sense?

·
Registered
238 Posts
atrialfib said:
Jack balls!

::) Before you talk too much shit, use some better names for chistsakes. you kill me. ;D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts