Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure it's been asked and posted before, but I'm new here so I'll ask anyway.

I was just wondering was the power stats were on the new SV650's (HP, torque). For some reason i haven't been able to find it anywhere yet and I figured this would be the best place to ask.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yeah, the mags (Sport Rider) don't list any numbers for the 05's. One of the recent Sport Rider issues had a comparo of the (04?) SV and GSXR 600 with dynographs.... Maybe that'll help a little bit? Don't let the 2nd gen guys tell you theirs are faster, though. 1st gens might be down 3-5 hp, but we're still faster!!!! 8) :lol:

·
Registered
127 Posts
speakin of that article, was that a joke or what??? the final conclusion was that the gsxr 600 was better for toolin around in a hurry where as the sv was better suited for longer rides and touring. just lookin at the two bikes you could tell that! oh well, i still read it :roll: gotta love when the sv gets publicity!!!

as for the specs, dont worry about it. they theyre too low to brag about anyway :lol: just ride and have fun.

dan

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yeah, I know it was a pretty funky comparison, what with the vast difference in performance and suspension, etc. The thing I took away from the article is how well the SV fared when viewed as an entire package. It truly does everything you expect a motorcycle to do, especially for the price. That's the kind of performance that can't be translated into words or numbers...

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
2nd gen bikes are approx. 72bhp and 43ft lbs of torque

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I had an interesting thought today regarding the power of my SV. I've never changed or cleaned the air filter and haven't messed with the timing or anything else that should increase power except uncorking the stock muffler. After 23k miles and nearly 2.5 years of all season riding, you'd think there'd be a noticeable power decrease. Somehow, my bike almost feels more powerful.

So my thought: I know it's possible, but how likely is it that the motor getting less oxygen could actually increase horsepower. Most of you will respond with "more oxygen means more power... end of story." I know this is true to a point. The decrease in oxygen is not compensated for by our "dumb" computers. I remember the powerband seemed to have moved when I uncorked the exhaust, but it may have simply decreased as the motor may have begun to run lean.... not sure. But now the air filter is certainly dirtier than it was before, I wonder if the decrease in oxygen is actually putting the correct (or rather "different") mixture into the combustion chamber thereby increasing power, or at least moving the powerband back down lower in the RPM range.

What say you, fools?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts