Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a new rear pilot power for the rear today...and i still have the old mez4 up front....
i was just wondering what i can expect from this combo? anyone done it b4?

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
For one thing, having a crap tyre on the front and a good tyre on the rear is gnerally frowned upon- you want the rear to slide before the front if you ever run out of grip, since a rear end slide is far, far easier to deal with than the front.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It will become an unridable death machine.  You should never mix tires.  Oh wait...  I've mixed tires before.  I did notice some difference in handling that would normally be associated with the newer tire, but nothing bad happened.  Of course they have always been similar compounds, just different profiles (ex. Dunflops and Metzelers).  And not for trackdays, just out farting around locally.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah...its not a track bike...like you said...just for farting around town fairly fast.
i will get a new front power when the mez4 wears out...
i couldn't justify spending money on something i really didn't need...

·
Registered
413 Posts
You will probably fall down..
Ditch the MEZ4, Pry open your wallet, and get the pilot power front.
MEz4's were originally developed to become yard art and were only put on bikes because it seemed a shame to put new tires directly in the garbage.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Seriously. Ditch the MEZ4. It may LOOK like it has life left in it, but as some of us have learned the hard way, that doesn't mean it still has grip. Like someone else said, it would be better to have a sticky tire up front than in the rear if you're mixing tires. You got sliders yet?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I agree that if you are going to mix and match, you are much better off putting the stickies on the front, but if you are careful you should be ok.

-josh

·
Registered
597 Posts
Even if not used up the Mez4 is probably old enough now to be significantly harder and less grippy than when new.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the mez4 has 7k on it. and im flat broke!!! so i will get the power up front when i have the ching!

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
spuds said:
i couldn't justify spending money on something i really didn't need...
yet you bought one of the most expensive and high performance rear tires on the market and you are whining about $$

to me, you waste the performance of the tire if you dont use a matching front... or at least a front that is close to the same performance level

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
technically...i didn't spend the money...ins did. i had the front power on order and realized that i would end up owing the dealership money all said and done...even with the check from the ins company...
i have no money to do that... so i got what i needed.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
you could just not eat for a few weeks :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
but i would starve....oh hell, the sv is worth it! haha

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Why bother with Pilot Powers for farting around town fairly fast? Especially if you're tight on money. You're just throwing it away. Go for a sport touring tire.

·
Registered
449 Posts
when I think about it, I dont think I've ever ridden on 2 same brand tires. I think I did for a couple of thousand miles, but altogether I've ridden more on mismatched tires. If there was a problem with my handling, I wouldnt really know what perfect feels like.

anyways, If you guys are looking to save some $$$$

http://store.azmusa.com/shink.html

^^^there has got to be a penny pinching cheapass on this forum thats got a set.

I'm dying for a ride report.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i got the power cause i have heard nothing but good things about them. and i am a, i guess u could call it aggressive street rider. I'm not a squid, but i do ride hard and fast. thats y i got the power

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
spuds said:
i got the power cause i have heard nothing but good things about them. and i am a, i guess u could call it aggressive street rider. I'm not a squid, but i do ride hard and fast. thats y i got the power
well if thats the case i would recommend buying a front as soon as ya can. they really are fantastic tires... but half the thing i like abou them is the confidence they give me to go faster.. i just dont think i would have that if i was using a weaker tire on the front

so save your pocket change and buy one asap ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts