Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just painted the bike over the winter and had to clean the carbs cause they were really gummed up. ran fine after that. put in some new plugs. ran across town... ran fine. back across town, with traffic.... still fine. went down a back road just barley on the throttle, then it started sputtering and missing. then it was a power loss, along with no throttle. i can rider for like 1/10 of a mile then it stalls again. new plugs, new gas, and clean carbs. any suggestions?

·
Registered
744 Posts
My guess? You sucked in something from the gas tank, either debris or water. Drain your bowls and see if it'll start up again. If it does, drain your tank and refill with gas and put gas dryer in it.

Either way, buy an inline fuel filter and install it between your petcock and pump.

·
Registered
744 Posts
its all new gas, and just put a brand new fuel filter on. and it will start up just fine just runs really bad and pops and crackles
Have you drained the bowls?

·
Registered
80 Posts
did you find the problem? sounds kinda like my problem, I was going to check the TPS too, it ran great then not

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
na today i put some dry gas in the gas thinkin that i may have got a bad tank of gas... i ran it for 20 mins... still wont rev up quickley. idles perfect, im at a loss.... i guess im gonna have to buy a new seal kit for the carbs and have my buddy rebuild them. im just at a loss. unless when i hooked the tps back up it kinda tripped the ecu. which would screw with the ignition. how knows.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'd guess you don't need new seals. Sounds like they just need to be pulled completely apart, cleaned properly, and reassembled.

·
Registered
80 Posts
the carbs? yeah really easy

·
Registered
744 Posts
yea. thats what im guessing im gonna unhook the battery let it set a min and then hook it back up since the tps was unhooked. doubt it will work but its free and takes 2.5 seconds. i wonder how hard it is to take apart to clean them?
The 1gen doesn't really have an ecu. It has a very simple computer which handles the coils, but that's about it.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
The TPS wouldn't cause stalling and a noticable loss of power. It just retards the timing a little when the throttle is opened alot at low rpm.

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
My guess? You sucked in something from the gas tank, either debris or water. Drain your bowls and see if it'll start up again. If it does, drain your tank and refill with gas and put gas dryer in it.

Either way, buy an inline fuel filter and install it between your petcock and pump.
+1 ^

Even though you've already cleaned the carbs, and put new fuel in the the tank, it sounds like you still have a fuel problem.

When a bike sits for one season, usually compression and ignition are not affected, but it's common for carbs to gunk up and moisture to get in the fuel, and cause the kind of running problems you describe.

If there is the slightest water or gunk still left in the tank, it will find it's way back to your carbs.

If you put a rag under the carbs when you drain the bowls, it's easy to see the tiniest bit of water. Clear fuel filters also help since you can do a quick visual check.

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
im starting to think its deff in the carbs..
If all was fine before the bike sat, and your carburetors were "really gummed up" then I think you're on the right track.

More than once, I've cleaned carburetors, thought I did a good job, only to find I thought wrong.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well the problem has been solved. i guess when you think something is clean enough... it really isnt at all.... or not even close... there was hardened fuel deposits on the inside of the bowls. which was flaking off and plugging up the jets.... i feel like a tard now... oh well. runs like a champ now. i should be posting up some pics sometime in the near future, just need to get my hands on my girls camera.

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
Glad to hear you got it going, kudos for fixing it yourself!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts