Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I stated in a previous post my 05 RS-3 Yosh Slip-On install went well. I was impressed with the sound
and it felt great !

I installed the power commander and BMC air filter last night ! Easy install and no problems. The directions
and supplied parts and software worked with no problems. The map I used was from the dynojet website.
The one with the two bros slip-on and stock/aftermarket air filter.

The Test Ride Results: Like everyone else stated in other post, the pc made the throttle feel smooth
and removed the on/off feel of the throttle. To tell you the truth other than throttle feel I did not feel much
difference in power from just having the slip-on with no pc. The pc just seemed to make the bike feel
smooth. I also noticed that I could stay in a higher gear with low rpms and not have the rough feel.

I do have one question, the exhaust pops a little bit on decel something in the lower gears 2nd or 3d at low speeds(does not always do it). It is not very loud, but it is there. Is a little bit of popping normal ? The only reason why I even installed the pc was just to make sure I was not running lean and avoid engine damage.

Do all slips-on do this even with a custom map installed ? It actually sounds good to me just want to make sure it is okay. As long as I have a PC I can not run lean and do damage correct ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
dom05sv650 said:
As I stated in a previous post my 05 RS-3 Yosh Slip-On install went well. I was impressed with the sound
and it felt great !

I installed the power commander and BMC air filter last night ! Easy install and no problems. The directions
and supplied parts and software worked with no problems. The  map I used was from the dynojet website.
The one with the two bros slip-on and stock/aftermarket air filter.

The Test Ride Results: Like everyone else stated in other post, the pc made the throttle feel smooth
and removed the on/off feel of the throttle. To tell you the truth other than throttle feel I did not feel much
difference in power from just having the slip-on with no pc.  The pc just seemed to make the bike feel
smooth. I also noticed that I could stay in a higher gear with low rpms and not have the rough feel.

I do have one question, the exhaust pops a little bit on decel something in the lower gears 2nd or 3d at low speeds(does not always do it). It is not very loud, but it is there. Is a little bit of popping normal ? The only reason why I even installed the pc was just to make sure I was not running lean and avoid engine damage.

Do all slips-on do this even with a custom map installed ? It actually sounds good to me just want to make sure it is okay. As long as I have a PC I can not run lean and do damage correct ?

Thanks
Not correct, if your map is wrong you can easily run lean.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do I know if I am okay and not lean........I don't seem to have overheating or any bluing on the pipes.
The only indication is just a little popping once in awhile on decel in 2 or 3 at low speeds. And it is not that bad. I can live with it. I just don't want to do any damage to anything.

I read here that one guy had a custom map made and he still had some popping. How much if any popping is normal ?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Popping? Thats kinda vague, my bike "pops" when its coming down to, but I think it has more to do with my pipe than anything.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Popping is never normal.  You can have popping on decel with either a rich or lean condition.  Crappy mechanics will say that it's normal because they lack the proper knowledge or incentive to tune a bike properly.  It can also be caused by an exhaust leak, or damaged carb diaphragms.

In other words, it's usually an air leak in the system, or improper tuning.  With carbs this means improper jetting, with FI it's an improper fuel map.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
stranger said:
i thought that the popping had to do with the PAIR valve - and a PC wouldn't solve that
What the pair valve does is inject air into the exhaust system to encourage more complete combustion and help clean up emissions. This falls into the "air leak" scenario.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
stranger said:
so with a properly tuned PC III, you'll get rid of the popping? that's my favorite part of the holeshot  :-\
Yes, if you are super meticulous about tuning and fuel mapping you can tune this out. It may takes lot's of time however, and if the bikes not running lean, most people just live with it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
How does the popping relate to the backpressure then, like on a truck with pipes when you downshift?  Are we talking about the same popping????????

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow..........look what I started ......Thanks for all the responses ! I don't mind a little pop once in a while.
I just want to make sure I am not doing damage ! What are some signs that I should look out for if I am
running lean. Overall I am very happy with the way the bike feels......great sound, smooth throttle, no dead spots in the rpm range........I just want to make sure that a little popping once in awhile is okay. On my stock exhaust I never heard a thing.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The "popping" is almost always unburnt fuel that makes it's way into the exhaust where it hits the hot atmosphere and ignites.  Gasoline engines, no matter how well tuned are relatively inefficient in terms of combustion.  There is always some amount of fuel that does not get burned in the combustion process and makes it's way out the exhaust.  This is why we have emissions, it's just unburnt fuel.  An air leak will also evaagerate this problem as it introduces oxygen into the exhaust which can ignite the unburnt fuel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It sounds like that getting rid of the popping is not gonna happen. Maybe the reason for the stock exhaust not making any pop noise is because the stock setup runs lean to begin with and most of the fuel gets used up in the combustion process. Add that to the large can that keeps all the noise in and that must give a quiet system............

But when should you be concerned about the popping ? What is too much ?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
dom05sv650 said:
It sounds like that getting rid of the popping is not gonna happen. Maybe the reason for the stock exhaust not making any pop noise is because the stock setup runs lean to begin with and most of the fuel gets used up in the combustion process. Add that to the large can that keeps all the noise in and that must give a quiet system............

But when should you be concerned about the popping ? What is too much ?
The reason the stock system does not pop is because that with it the bike is in a very good state of tune.  Whenever you make any changes that affect the combustion system (either intake or exhaust mods) you need to retune the bike to these changes.

The popping is only a cause for concern if it is caused by a lean condition, which will eventually damage your engine.  The most accurate way to check for this is to use a fuel/air sensor (the sv is not equipped with one in it's primitive FI system).  In lieu of this you can put a fresh set of spark plugs in your bike and take it for a 3/4 mile or so ride close to redline.  Then stop and pull one of the plugs.  If the tip of the plug is black and oily it is indicative of a rich condition, if it is chalky white then it is lean.  A real good state of tune will show as a powdery tan color.  If you are real rich your exhaust will also smell very strong.

You could lessen or eliminate the popping if you had a better fuel map, this will also yield the most power and fuel economy.

Engines make the most power when they are running slightly lean, but too lean will damage things.

·
Registered
935 Posts
lean is fast, for sure. In my expierence with dirt bikes and sleds, they go really fast before they melt down, woohoo!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks.......for the help ! I did some searching around and found people with a similar issue. I found several posts about plugging the pair to rid the pop at rpms below 4,000. I believe this is where I get the noise on slow decel speeds. I plan on trying this out this weekend.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.