Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I powder coated my wheels and love it. It has lead me to want to powder coat the whole bike. No seriously, I want to powder coat some other items. Does anyone have picks of their powder coated items. A different link lead to some ppl posting picks of powder coated lower forks and they looked hot. Can you powder coat exhaust pipes? Has anyone powder coated a swing-arm and do you have picks? etc.... Can you powder coat anything no matter what type of metal? I was told some cheaper cast wheels can not be properly powder coated b/c they out-gas too much when heated. Fortunately Suzuki cast wheels are of a high quality tight cast.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
You can do anything you wants... just takes money.  I did anything that was silver and metal on my bike.

Here's some pics....

Exhaust done in silver ceramic coating (don't worry about the red circles)

Pieces all done up

Close Up of pieces

Completed Bike (clutch side)

Completed Bike (throttle side)

More recent Pics

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
for best results, exhaust pipes should be ceramic-coated, not powder coated. ceramic coating will endure the extreme heat of exhaust parts. i ceramic-coated my exhaust flat-black 3 years ago and the pipes still look new.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whoa easy there killer. I was kidding when I said powder coat my whole bike. So you disassembed your entire bike? Cool. I have been thinking of doing the same. Do you live somewhere with very long winters or something? No seriously how long did teardown and reassemble take? Would I need any real specific tool or knowledge? Did you have clearance problems with any of the parts after they came back from coating?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Kevin said:
Whoa easy there killer. I was kidding when I said powder coat my whole bike. So you disassembed your entire bike? Cool. I have been thinking of doing the same. Do you live somewhere with very long winters or something? No seriously how long did teardown and reassemble take? Would I need any real specific tool or knowledge? Did you have clearance problems with any of the parts after they came back from coating?
I live in Cleveland, OH.  Not a real long winter.  Usually I'm off the bike for three months.  Total tear down and reassembly took, right around three months.  The tear down, lasted one week, of 4~5 hours after work.  I was real careful in where stuff went.  I could have done it alot quicker.

Then in the mean time I added some new cams to the motor.

Then I waited for the powder coat to come back.  This took the longest as I waited just a little over a month and a half for it.  Then reassembly took me another week of 4~5 days in the garage after work.  It was done just in time for a Michigan maintainence day...  Like I mean, the last bolt was snug the day before I left for a 500 mile round trip...  Now that was a shake down run.

it's do able for sure with some time.  The only specials tools I needed was a set of the Suzuki castle nuts and a security torx bit.  Biggest issue was tapping the holes to remove the powder coating. Other than that everything fit just like normal.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn. Good job though. I was wondering about the retap of holes I don't think I would be looking too forward to that part. There must be something in the water that makes all projects not get done untill right before a trip like yours. That always happends on those bike build off shows. I am always setting there thinking why didn't they start this job much eariler.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
cyclerider105 said:
Hey!  Where did you guys have the ceramic coating done on your exhaust pipes?  BTW, VERY NICE!
The same guy that did the rest of my powder coating. He has the podwer to do the ceramic coating too.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good lord, how did you powdercoat the engine?! Please don't tell me you had to strip the entire engine down...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
ceramic coating is something you can do yourself? are there kits you can buy at auto stores? or you have to send it away like you would for powder coating

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hey, Wacky, how much did that run you, out of curiosity? Mike and I have both been thinking about having some stuff powdercoated, but neither of us has any idea about the $ involved.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have seen the home do it yourself kits you put in the oven but you are limited to the size of the oven. Plus not sure if you live with a woman or not but I am not looking forward to the fight involved with me putting powder coated parts in her oven. I had my wheels powder coated and it cost me $80. I did all the prep myself thought or it would have been twice as much. I used a Dremel tool and a least $20 in sanding attachemnts to get the old gray covering off my stock wheels. Plus it took me about 20 hours of sanding but then again I have way more time than money I liked doing it b/c the powder coat quality depends on the quality of the prep work so my wheels came out looking great.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
novakane said:
ceramic coating is something you can do yourself? are there kits you can buy at auto stores? or you have to send it away like you would for powder coating
Not the ceramic coating... you'll have to give it to a powder coater that can do it...

e lo said:
Hey, Wacky, how much did that run you, out of curiosity? Mike and I have both been thinking about having some stuff powdercoated, but neither of us has any idea about the $ involved.
The total for everything was around $550. That included ALL prep. I just handed over my parts and BAM!... I got completed parts a month and half later... I did nothing except pull the bike apart. Finding a good powder coater is key though.... as the PREP work makes the PC good, terrible or awesome.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Hey Wacky the bike looks great, but its hard to look at the bike in all those pieces and not get teary eyed :'(

:D

Woody

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
All looks sweet. I'll likely do some PC but not in black. I'm thinking an emerald green to go with my copper.

I have one question for Wacky: why two swingarms? ???

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
I think he was going to rig something like that Busa with two rear wheels, but I'm not sure. ;D

Seriously, though, he had planned on selling one of them since he had an extra.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
My original swingarm wanted to be replaced. So I purchased one off eBay for cheap. What happened to my original you ask???.... ok so you didn't ask, but I'll tell you anyway. The bolt that holds the little crap flap on....it decided to gaul and break off... so I was going to replace it but decided to wait... then.... after powder coat I now have two... I planned on selling the one, but I'm too lazy right now...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts