Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know about how much it would cost to have my wheels on an '05 SV powder coated yellow? I did a search and didn't see anything so I thought maybe someone out there might know. :D

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I paid £75UK for both wheels and the sprocket carrier in a metallic- that's rouglhly $125 all in. You guys got hosed :)

E

·
0 Posts
Northwind said:
You guys got hosed :)
Not really - there are huge differences in quality of coating jobs. The ones that leave your rims so shiny that they look wet cost around $100 per wheel. Industrial coat jobs like you get for $50-75 per wheel don't shine much - if at all - and aren't very thick.

The shiny jobs require the rim to be bead blasted and then buffed a bit. The color coat is applied and then wet sanded. Another color coat is then added and wet sanded. Finally, a topcoat is applied, wet sanded and buffed. It'll look like glass after this.

The industrial coats are usually heated to 600+F to remove the old powdercoat. Then they are sprayed with one color coat and then baked again at around 450F for teh coating to adhere. That's it. It doesn't shine at all, has a rougher texture and is pretty thin. You'll see lots of chips on teh rims after tire changes, too.

Take a look at stock bike rims - those are usually someplace inbetween the two processes detailed above. They're a bit better than industrial coats, but are still pretty thin.

Not saying the job you got in the UK was crap - might be the best deal ever for all I know. Butg this is pretty much how it's done here in the USA.
:D

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Y'all should move to the UK! This is a metallic finish applied by a guy who deals only with bike and car parts, and it's lovely.

E

·
0 Posts
Northwind said:
Y'all should move to the UK! This is a metallic finish applied by a guy who deals only with bike and car parts, and it's lovely.
You're the lucky one then! I do rims and parts for bikes and it just isn't worth doing for less than $100 ro so. Materials and blasting cost around $50 per rim. Takes about three hours to do them right so the profit is only about $15 per hour.

Delivering pizzas would make more money than that :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts