Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the radiator covers, rearsets and passenger pegs done locally from some guy on craigslist. Not bad for $75. I was going to do the headlight brackets too but couldn't get them off due to stripped bolt heads. Oh well. Powder coating definitely adds some thickness. Putting the rear brake pedal back together was not fun. I eventually got it working again.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
That looks great. IMO, its looks like the way the dang bike should have come from the factory. Great job.

·
Super Moderator
7,012 Posts
(SNIP) Powder coating definitely adds some thickness. Putting the rear brake pedal back together was not fun. I eventually got it working again.
(SNIP)
Looks nice.

It should have been masked and not coated -the thickness of the coating shouldn't be an issue.

Jay

·
Registered
680 Posts
Looks nice. I painted mine, so I just did the heel guards. I agree that it should've come from the factory that way! I figured paint would just scratch and flake off the gear shift and brake pedal. Had the same problem with a stripped hex head on the headlight bracket. Luckily, you can reach around with a needle nose vice grip and get hold of the end of the screw. I got it loosened up enough from that side to remove it and replace it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Looks nice. I painted mine, so I just did the heel guards. I agree that it should've come from the factory that way! I figured paint would just scratch and flake off the gear shift and brake pedal. Had the same problem with a stripped hex head on the headlight bracket. Luckily, you can reach around with a needle nose vice grip and get hold of the end of the screw. I got it loosened up enough from that side to remove it and replace it.

looks good. i like that pipe!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Thanks. Painted the header pipe with BBQ grill paint. Works great and easy to retouch.

hector: Did you previously paint or PC the stock handelbar, or is that a black aftermarket bar?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Did you previously paint or PC the stock handelbar, or is that a black aftermarket bar?
Aftermarket Bikemaster Daytona handlebar with 1/2 inch cut off each end. Higher and slightly back compared to stock. There is a thread around here somewhere that goes into detail, and where I posted before/after photos showing positional differences.

next should be the fork tubes! they look really good in black!
I agree, I just had the forks out to put new springs in them too. I don't plan on taking them apart again anytime soon though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Looks nice.

It should have been masked and not coated -the thickness of the coating shouldn't be an issue.

Jay

What's the difference? I'm looking to pc similar parts on mine. Will I need specify that the parts be masked and not coated?

·
Super Moderator
7,012 Posts
What's the difference? I'm looking to pc similar parts on mine. Will I need specify that the parts be masked and not coated?

Areas that slide against bushings, have inserts, or close tolerances need to be masked.

If you (coater) are paying attention before working on the parts you look them over and figure out where you need to mask.

PM me with a list of parts if you want prices on powder coating.

Jay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts