Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am looking at getting a bigger bike and my neighbor has a 2002 sv650s that he is wanting to sell. Its never been laid over, 10k miles, stock, etc.. but its been sitting outside for the last couple years. The front brakes don't work either. He was asking 2500 but I think I could get him to 2k. Is it worth it? What would I need to check out since it has been weathered and what do you think might be the brake problem? master cylinder?

Thanks,

·
Registered
367 Posts
Other than rebuilding and flushing/bleeding the brake system (mostly o-rings to replace), you will probably need to rebuild/clean carbs (o-rings/gaskets), probably new tires (dry rotted), possibly new chain/sproket, flush coolant, new battery, oil/filter change, lube cables, adjustments, etc. If you do the work yourself, you are looking at a few hundred in parts alone, not including tires. Fair market value on that bike is somewhere between $2500-$3500, so you need to decide if its worth it. If he cannot show you the bike runs, I'd say $1700 max. There can also be other problems that surface once you get do all the stuff above, like electrical problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bike does in fact run. He started it up and ran like a top. I am thinking about buying it and basically tearing it down and have it as a project till summer gets here. I checked out the tires and they were fine and the only weather damage that I could find was the seats were ripped and the black plastic for the lights, turn signals and stuff was faded gray.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The bike does in fact run. He started it up and ran like a top. I am thinking about buying it and basically tearing it down and have it as a project till summer gets here. I checked out the tires and they were fine and the only weather damage that I could find was the seats were ripped and the black plastic for the lights, turn signals and stuff was faded gray.
Did you get down close and look at those tires? Rotate them and look again? Tires don't like UV and/or ground level ozone. Two years of outside storage is a lot of UV exposure. Good to hear its running. 2 grand is probably a decent enough deal. Not a steal though. I'd still plan on going through the carbs unless he has been putting regular mileage on the bike and keeping fuel stabilizer in the tank.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok thank you for the advice! I am going to take it for a drive on the next warm day. Ill be sure and check the tires out pretty good. I was planning on a exhaust and a jet anyways so rebuilding the carb shouldn't be that much out of the way regardless.

Any idea on the brakes? Where is a good place so source parts for these other than the dealer? Bikebandit?

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
yeah, plan on doing new tires, chain/sprockets (do as a set), carbs as stated above. New brake fluids front and rear (probably wouldnt hurt to do new pads too), new coolant, new oil, forks will need new oil. Also, check all of the coolant hoses and vacuum hoses + fuel line. UV and climates can take their toll on the hoses- any cracked or dried hoses should be replaced.
Check inside the tank for rust or corrosion. 2yrs sitting can let alot of moisture build up in the tank and that'll do bad things in there.
These are all things you should take into consideration when making an offer on the bike, and let the current owner know that they're things that arent helping his resale value.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the bike wasnt sitting for 2 years.. He drove it but it hasn't been garage kept.

Sorry if I was unclear on that earlyer but thanks for all the advice, never thought to look in the gas tank lol.

·
Registered
367 Posts
As far as the front brakes, I'd first try to put new fluid in and bleed the system. If that doesn't work, you probably need to clean and rebuild the master cylinder and possibly the calipers. Find and download the service manual online (Google is your friend) to get a better idea of what is involved with ac MC and/or caliper rebuild.

A good reference website is ronayers.com. That site has all the OEM parts fiche online and linked to their system to give you an idea on replacement part cost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts