Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I'm a noob with a moderately solid riding foundation looking for practical advice about possibly buying an SV in the next 6 months or so.

Where is the best forum section to start a brainstorm?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
888 Posts
Right here should be fine.

If it's not, one of the mods will pipe in and move it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so let's start off with the basics.

I'm a big guy: 260lbs @ 5' 11" and built.

That being said, I am actively working out and losing weight...so I hope to be around 240 or less by the time I can afford a bike With my build, I will not likely dip less that 220.

I want to make sure I get a bike that is comfortable to ride. I don't want to look silly either.

I started with a ninja 250, and have experience riding my fathers softail.

When I had the 250 I was about 305 lbs, and I planned to move up but at the time I couldn't afford it. Even when I was that size, it was surprisingly fun to put around on...

I dislike the cumbersome nature of my fathers softail. its much more work than its worth to deal with such a heavy bike.

I sold my car because I couldn't afford to maintain it, and insurance is really expensive for me because I am a full time student. I've been living without a vehicle for about a year, and I am getting tired of relying on people for rides and taking multiple busses to do business downtown.

I need a daily commuter that can take me from my apartment to the university, and around town for errands and stuff.

It would be really awesome if I could take it on extended trips to visit my father a couple hours away. On the weekends.

In a perfect world, I'd like to be able to hit the highway for a day or two and do some camping. I am a photography nut, and I am getting stir crazy not having anything new to photograph.

I'm a very methodical and cautious person, and I have no intentions of driving recklessly.

I think I would prefer a more upright riding position.

Budget is a concern. I'm finding SV650s around $3-4000 which is about the max I would be able to spend. If I could save some money for gear, that would be great as I don't have a helmet or a jacket anymore.

what do you think guys?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I think an SV650 would suit you fine.

More upright riding position would mean looking for an N model with handlebars, rather than an S model with clipons. Check out cycle-ergo.com to see the differences

Since budget is a concern, I would recommend waiting until November-January. Prices drop quite a bit during the winter months as people don't want to pay insurance and store them. You're looking in prime riding season (July/Aug) so prices are a little higher now.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Another option since budget is a concern is a Ninja 500. I've seen them cheaper than the SV yet more power than your 250.

Ninja650's are also a good choice as its very similar to the SV.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in Florida, so I have a feeling riding season isn't as much of a concern.

Either way I will be looking to buy around January or February if I can manage to save the way I want to. So I'm assuming if Florida is indeed affected by the seasonal price changes, I might get lucky.

I occasionally get grants and scholarships, so it is possible that I will secure the funds early.

As far as price goes, I'm not unwilling to save up for what I want..but I just cant realistically go much higher than that figure.

I just got a steady job on campus, so if I play my cards right... Nothing is stopping me from getting there.

That being said, I might end up saving the money for a summer trip backpacking through Asia. It just depends.....

On one hand, I figure I can put the trip on hold, And plan to sell the motorcycle after I graduate.... Recycling some of the money for a trip at a later point in time.

On the other hand, if I go on the trip next summer... I will come back with nothing except photos,memories and probably a credit card bill (knowing me.)

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Ok, so let's start off with the basics.

I'm a big guy: 260lbs @ 5' 11" and built.

That being said, I am actively working out and losing weight...so I hope to be around 240 or less by the time I can afford a bike With my build, I will not likely dip less that 220.

I want to make sure I get a bike that is comfortable to ride. I don't want to look silly either.

I started with a ninja 250, and have experience riding my fathers softail.

When I had the 250 I was about 305 lbs, and I planned to move up but at the time I couldn't afford it. Even when I was that size, it was surprisingly fun to put around on...

I dislike the cumbersome nature of my fathers softail. its much more work than its worth to deal with such a heavy bike.

I sold my car because I couldn't afford to maintain it, and insurance is really expensive for me because I am a full time student. I've been living without a vehicle for about a year, and I am getting tired of relying on people for rides and taking multiple busses to do business downtown.

I need a daily commuter that can take me from my apartment to the university, and around town for errands and stuff.

It would be really awesome if I could take it on extended trips to visit my father a couple hours away. On the weekends.

In a perfect world, I'd like to be able to hit the highway for a day or two and do some camping. I am a photography nut, and I am getting stir crazy not having anything new to photograph.

I'm a very methodical and cautious person, and I have no intentions of driving recklessly.

I think I would prefer a more upright riding position.

Budget is a concern. I'm finding SV650s around $3-4000 which is about the max I would be able to spend. If I could save some money for gear, that would be great as I don't have a helmet or a jacket anymore.

what do you think guys?
Check out the DL650 (V-Strom) as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is the main difference between the sv650 and the vstrom?

...in reference to my interests.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
You rode a Ninja 250 when you were over 300 lbs, and you're worried about looking ridiculous on an SV? Don't worry; that ship has sailed. ;D

All kidding aside, dd recommended the 650 V-Strom (a/k/a "Wee-Strom") because its cockpit is a little more open than the SV, so it may fit you a little better. Also, a bit more touring accessories are available for it, and that tall riding position is nice for looking over traffic on your commute. Same engine as the SV650, and a lot of shared components with the SV, though.

Either bike will suit you fine, however. At your weight, though, you should upgrade the suspension. Stiffer springs and new oil in the fork legs would be the minimum.

As for taking the SV on camping trips:

It's do-able -- as long as you don't mind looking like a homeless person on a motorcycle. ;)

Actually, I've done it many times, without any problems whatsoever. However, I'll admit that it's a bit easier and more comfortable to do with my touring bike.

You should be able to find a nice SV (or V-Strom) 650 within your budget. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You rode a Ninja 250 when you were over 300 lbs, and you're worried about looking ridiculous on an SV? Don't worry; that ship has sailed. ;D

All kidding aside, dd recommended the 650 V-Strom (a/k/a "Wee-Strom") because its cockpit is a little more open than the SV, so it may fit you a little better. Also, a bit more touring accessories are available for it, and that tall riding position is nice for looking over traffic on your commute. Same engine as the SV650, and a lot of shared components with the SV, though.

Either bike will suit you fine, however. At your weight, though, you should upgrade the suspension. Stiffer springs and new oil in the fork legs would be the minimum.
Heh, I bought the 250 to learn on... And yes, it looked pretty ridiculous. :)

I'm a little worried that a higher riding position will be less stable at low speeds on campus, in stop an go traffic and around Parking lots.

and I wouldn't be touring a lot, but it's a nice afterthought.

Thanks for the suspension suggestions. How much would those modifications cost?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
A V-Strom wouldn't be less stable, as long as while on the bike you can get at least the balls of your feet on the ground at a stop. If your inseam is 32" or greater, it should be okay, but you can also lower the suspension a bit if need be.

When you get your bike, look up Rich Desmond at Sonic Springs. He will help you get your suspension sorted. New springs and oil in front is around $100.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Where r u in Florida? I'm in Tampa area.
I'm thinking of selling my 650. It's an '05 with 12k on the odo. It has a Zx14 shock and 1k springs with heavier oil ( I weight 220 w/ gear) so it would be pretty good for you. Yosh full system, PCIII, Vortex adjustable rear sets, anyways pm me if interested.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
With a 29" inseam, you might find the V-Strom a challenge.

If I were you, I'd follow up with VTWINPOWER. I know this member; he is trustworthy and takes meticulous care of his bikes. My gf bought his spouse's Ninja, and it was a great experience. The bike was in like-new shape, priced right, and has never given us any trouble. (Okay, the battery died a few days ago; I'm guessing it's the original from 2007.)

Even if you're not near Tampa, it would be worth a trip. We came over from Miami for the Ninja, and are glad that we did.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm in Tampa actually, i live in the USF area...

Problem is, I don't have the money yet!

I just got a job, so like I said...I plan to purchase a bike around January or February.

thanks for the heads up though!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Just hit me up when you are ready, I'm not in a hurry. I love my bike. Thanks CFREGER and happy that she is still riding that Ninja 500

·
Registered
645 Posts
You absolutely will need to do suspension mods. I'm barely 180, and I found it too be too mushy.

As for camping, yes:

^
Got a little frozen that time....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You absolutely will need to do suspension mods. I'm barely 180, and I found it too be too mushy.

As for camping, yes:

^
Got a little frozen that time....
Awesome,

Looks like I could end up camping after all!

How much would the suspension mods cost? And would a noob like me be able to make the modifications by myself?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts