Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know my SV is back up for sale after my previous sale fell through (due to unforeseen circumstances on the buyers end). One local guy has been emailing me, but he says he needs the VIN to check on insurance before he even comes to look at it. I've never given out the VIN before on anything I was selling. I don't know why. but I feel uneasy about giving it to him. I have no logical reason to feel this way :p. I guess in this day and age when scams run rampant I am just a skeptic and assume this guy is up to no good, lol.

So is it ok tot do that? Have you given out the VIN to potential buyers before?

·
Registered
307 Posts
As long as you still have the title for proof of ownership I don't see why not. Of course in this day and age where thieves have upped their game, anything's possible

Do they do carfax for motorcycles? If so, he might also want to make sure its never been in an accident.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Check most eBAY sales, most have VINS listed. My insurance asks for VIN for a quote also ..... give it to him and dont worry about it.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course it's safe. It's nothing that can be used against you.
Thanks folks. I figured I was just being paranoid, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask for opinions before I sent it to him.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You can walk by any car or motorcycle in a parking lot and write down the VIN. There is no difference - he can't use it for much except insurance quotes and vehicle history searches.

·
Registered
32 Posts
He may also need it if getting a loan for the bike.

·
Registered
335 Posts
He's probaly being smart and using it to check insurance rates, before i bought mine i talked with my insurance and they gave me a quote and then after i bought it i gave them the vin and it up my insurance from being grouped as a sport bike. Also can't dealerships use the vin to look up the history on the bike.

·
Registered
179 Posts
When I bought my bike, I wanted the VIN from the guy to make sure that there weren't any outstanding leans against it. Not sure if you guys in the States have that option, but in Canada, you are required to purchase a "used vehicle information package" or something along those lines. It's 1 sheet of paper that show all previous owners in Ontario, Mileage at sale, and if there are outstanding leans against the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL yeah you're probably right Mike. I sent it to awhile ago. I hope he buys it, the poor thing is just sitting neglected in the garage since I got the beemer.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feel the same way since I have gotten my XT.
I'm probably a nut, but I liked that SV so much I feel guilty every time I take the F650 and leave the SV behind in the garage, lol. The BMW doesn't hurt my back at all where the SV did however.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$3500/obo. Not that I am trying to turn this into a for sale thread, that add is posted here in the for sale section.

·
Registered
26 Posts
He may be just checking it to make sure he isn't buying a stolen bike. We are seeing the number of bike thefts and bikes being chopped going up by the thousands, so it may only be a matter of him being extra cautious. He can't do anything with the VIN except run a FCIC/NCIC check on it to see if there is a hit. If you really are concerned, just ask him to be straight with you about what his intentions are reference the VIN. If he doesn't give you a straight answer, kick him to the curb and wait for the next serious buyer. Thats my 2 cents.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh yeah I should have mentioned FCIC is FLorida only, but NCIC is National. I'm sure Pennsylvania has their own statewide database similar to ours. If you aren't familiar with it...when a vehicle is stolen and the report is made with the local police agency the information is entered into a state and national database so that when an officer, trooper, or deputy runs that vehicle tag a hit will come up to advise them that the vehicle (or tag) is stolen. Force of habit mentioning our FCIC, my apologies.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't blame you for wondering, I certainly would and if I were you I'd ask him why he wants it. If he can't give you an answer or you think he is lying, move on to the next buyer. If his intentions are just to protect his interests no harm in him being honest with you. If something else is going on, you don't want to deal with him.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I've done the same when I thought I'd buy a bike on the spot and wanted it insured for the ride home...also to check if it was stolen. If a seller refused to give me the number ahead of time I'd probably assume they were selling a stolen bike.

Good luck with the sale.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts