Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I know this topic has been covered a number of time, but the problem is it is in a number of places. I have tried searching lots of threads some with a ton of pages so I am kinda hoping this will become a great reference for people who are searching for rear shock info in the future. So if you have an aftermarket or non-SV shock on your bike please post with roughly the following information:

Brand of shock (aftermarket brand or model of bike it came off of)
Model of your SV (1st Gen or 2nd Gen, 650 or 1000)
Your weight (specify if it is with or without gear)
General riding style (racing, commuting, commuting and weekend twisty warrior, etc)
Modifications needed to install (cut the battery box?, different dogbones to maintain ride height?, anything else relevant?)
Happy with your choice (is it just right? To soft for your weight? To harsh?)
Chosen Settings (preload amount-, compression damping-, rebound damping-)
Price and where you got it (eBay? this forum? another forum? vendor?)

I would love to be able to start this off, but I am one of the lost souls searching high and low for information. I figure if everyone will just fill in the above info this might serve the entire board more than just another "which is right for me thread".

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have the amazing STOCK Sv rear shock. The 1st gens are actually stiffer for a little more performance than the 2nd Gens though, I thought that was kinda interesting.

·
Registered
358 Posts
SHOCK-05 GSXR 1000
Model- 06 S
Weight- 175 with gear
Riding style- commuting and twisties
Mods- cut battery box, shorter battery
Happy with your choice- yes, much more stable

I also did front springs and oil, well worth the money.

Link where I got my info for the swap
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=45179

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Brand of shock 07ZX10

Model of your SV K4 Naked

Your weight 195 with gear and going down

General riding style Daily twisty rider

Modifications needed to install 55mm bottom shock bolt and cut off the tool box from the battery box. Just for looks.

Happy with your choice I have been very happy. Especially when I'm 2 up with my wife. Feels much more stable. Also did springs, emulators and oil in the forks at the same time.

Chosen Settings Thanks to 92westshady
Adjusted Shock Settings for 205lb Rider:
Preload (22mm Thread Showing)
Rebound (Bottom Screw 2 Turns Counterclockwise from fully clockwise position)
Compression (Top Screw 2.5 Turns Counterclockwise from fully clockwise position)

Price and where you got it Ebay paid right around $100

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Brand of shock: 07ZX10

Model of your SV: 07S

Your weight: 200 with gear

General riding style: Commuting, semi aggressive twisties

Modifications needed to install: 55mm bottom shock bolt and remove plastic guard in front of tool box

Happy with your choice: Very much. Feels a lot more stable on rough roads and much more planted at high speeds (nothing more than 70, don't want to hurt the poor girl ;))

·
Registered
63 Posts
Brand: 03-04 gsxr 1000
Model SV: 04 S
Weight: About 180 with gear
Mods: Cut battery box as per picture in one of the threads on here. Mounted some strips of aluminum for the battery to sit on. Shorter battery. Used the gsxr lower bolt.

Happy? Yes. Being able to adjust the compression and rebound makes a big difference. Bumps and rough road feels way better. (san diego roads suck)

This is combined with traxxion springs, damper rods, emulators and 10 wt oil.

Overall it feels like a completely different bike.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Brand of shock (aftermarket brand or model of bike it came off of): 2005 GSXR-600 with 1500 miles on it and it was 30 shipped =P
Model of your SV (1st Gen or 2nd Gen, 650 or 1000): 2003 SV650s
Your weight (specify if it is with or without gear): 165-170
General riding style (racing, commuting, commuting and weekend twisty warrior, etc): Commuting/Weekend Warrior, Going to start tracking
Modifications needed to install (cut the battery box?, different dogbones to maintain ride height?, anything else relevant?): Needed to cut the battery box.
Happy with your choice (is it just right? To soft for your weight? To harsh?): A HUGE difference, very stable and far superior than the old shock, it actually makes the sv more comfy ;D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Shock: '08 gsxr 750/600. Same thing
Bike: '03 s
Weight: 165 with gear
Mods: Needed gsxr stock lower bolt. 1/2in raising dogbones(ebay). Other than that it dropped in. No trimming what so ever. You have to trim your tool box with later years since the sub frames are lower than on the 2003 models. But you do not have to cut into the battery box so you can keep your stock battery. 08+ GSXR 600/750 shocks are the way to go.
HUGE improvement. Much stiffer and more responsive. Well worth doing.

Here it the link for the dog bones. You may be able to get by without them. I heard it dropped the rear end 1/2 inch so i went ahead and ordered them. Good quality too. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-08-SUZUKI-SV650-1-2-Raising-Links-SV-650-Dog-Bones_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem350155388984QQitemZ350155388984QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Brand of shock 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14
Model of your SV 2007 SV650S
Your weight 260lbs with gear
General riding style Commuting/weekend knee dragger
Modifications needed to install Nothing (have to use the ZX-14's lower mounting bolt)
Happy with your choice Very

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Brand of shock Elka Triple Clicker w/Remote Reservior - GSX-R1000, 500#/in spring
Model of your SV 2nd Gen SV650 w/1993 VFR 750 Swing-arm
Your weight 135# with gear
General riding style Commuting
Modifications needed to installNone
Happy with your choice It's perfection!

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Brand of shock Elka Triple Clicker w/Remote Reservoir
Model of your SV 2nd Gen SV650
Your weight 170# with gear
General riding style Track day and street riding
Modifications needed to install None
Happy with your choice No. I sucked too much to notice a difference. Sold it and put the stocker back on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Brand of shock: 07 ZX-10R Special Edition

Model of your SV: K3 SV650 (2nd Gen)

Your weight: 160 w/out gear

General riding style: Commuting/weekend twisties

Modifications needed to install: Absolutely nothing except getting the original kawasaki 10x55mm nut and bolt. The 06-07 ZX-10 shocks do not require any cutting of the battery box but (as far as second gens go) if you have anything but a K3 you have to remove the heatshield from the toolbox. The K3 doesn't require this because of the slightly higher tail height.

Happy with your choice: Very happy. I went with the stock preload and damping settings for the original 2006 zx-10 listed here. The tail does feel a tiny bit taller since the zx-10 shock is indeed longer. This is my first streetbike so I don't have a lot of experience when it comes to fine tuning a suspension but I can say that I definitely notice a huge improvement over the stock. I also installed .85kg/mm springs from www.sonicsprings.com and 20w oil at the same time for the front.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
ZX10R 2005- EIBACH #450-7075'T6 Dog/Bones-2002N-165lb.w/gear-sport/ST-dropped battery box w/spacers-HONDA f3 tubes & inturnals w/race-tech S2040G kit-RT.80 springs-MOTUL FLF 5w oil.This is my best setup ,where the front & rear match up.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Brand of shock - 05 636
Model of your SV - 2007 2nd Gen 650
Your weight - 210 lbs
General riding style - commuting and weekend twisty warrior
Modifications needed to install - cut the battery box, new bottom bolt
Happy with your choice - much, much better than stock

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Brand of shock - Penske Double Click
Model of your SV - 1st Gen SV
Your weight - 185 w/ gear
General riding style - Aggressive Street, Track Days
Modifications needed to install - Wallet Adjustment
Happy with your choice - Had all sorts of aftermarket shocks, Penske doubles are a great option for the money

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Brand of shock: Cogent
Model of your SV: 2G
Your weight: 200 w/ gear + passenger 115 w gear
General riding style : aggressive (but slow) street riding/2 up
Modifications needed to install: none - slipped in easy as pie
Happy with your choice: Not sure yet. I just put it on this weekend, and haven't really had a chance to test it yet.
Chosen settings: Spring rate and rebound dampenenenenenening were set at the factory based on my weight and riding style. I haven't messed with them yet.
Price and where you got it: From Rick and Joyce Tannenbaum at Cogent Dynamics. They were great to deal with. If you are looking for a new shock, I would highly recommend.

In sooth, After being off a bike for a while before getting the SV, I didn't find the stock suspension that lacking for my current rusty skills level. However, since I now have the wife, and most of my fun riding will be done 2 up, I decided to do a full upgrade of the bouncy bits. I still have to do the front. When I get everything done, I'm hoping it will work both for more aggressive carving alone, and slightly more pedestrian 2 up pace.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Modifications needed to install - Wallet Adjustment
That's funny. In Thailand, Bobby Raja, a dayamn fine tailor, was always happy to have you come into his shop for a "wallet massage."

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Elka double clicker with remote reservoir on a first generation naked.
165# in gear.
Back roads. There's an abundance of them around here with lots of curves and elevation changes. Pure heaven compared to my previous home (lived in New Orleans for the first 60 years.
No modifications needed.

I had four "repurposed" shocks on the bike (got them all swapping with a bunch of fellow gearheads). The Elka is worlds better than any of them. The best of the previous bunch was a reworked GSXR 1000. With emulators up front the bike is just about perfect for me.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Brand of shock 2007 Kawasaki ZX-14
Model of your SV 2005 SV650S
Your weight 220lbs w/o gear (approx 250 with)
General riding style Daily Commuting + Touring + Canyon Carving
Modifications needed to install Nothing other than bolt
Happy with your choice Very Much so far!
Chosen Settings
preload amount-21mm thread showing above adjuster rings
compression damping-2.5 turns from full
rebound damping-1 turn from full
Price and where you got it Myrtle West Cycle (about $65)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts