Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I managed to get the bike started by creating a paperclip loop for the clutch sensor thing as directed in my other thread. It started up fine, idled fine, got up to temperature (100) and leveled out. The only issue is that there was al ot of smoke coming from the tail pipe. Especially once I revved it slightly after it warmed up.

After I turned off the bike I noticed that the oil level window never refilled as usual and there was a small leak of oil on my garage floor. It seems as though the oil leaked from one of the connectors on the exhaust.

I am open to suggestions on what the issue might be and how serious it is or how to fix. During the crash the bike was on its side and running for a few good minutes. I dont know if this helps or not. I have also recently disconnected the Power Commander. I dont know if that plays into it at all.

Im thinking I should just drain the fuel and change the oil. I need help ASAP as the insurance adjusters need to kow if I want to keep it by Friday. Thanks!!

The oil window was near the full maker before I started the bike. Immediately after I cut it off, no oil refilled the window.

You can see the oil leaking from the top of the pipe in the picture at that connection, then running down its underside till it drips onto the ground. That is the total amount of oil that leaked.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Bike fell over. Oil drains into airbox. Airbox oil gets sucked through motor. Ends up in exhaust. It'll smoke and drain out the pipe.

To test my hypothesis, prop the tank up and open up your airbox. Also, you may want to disconnect the exhaust and rinse it out if the smoke really bothers you.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
No need to change the oil or drain the fuel (unless either is insanely old). Just fill it back to the appropriate height with oil.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm. Ill check into that. Do I need to replace the air filter and re-oil it?

Does the oil going through the motor like that ruin anything? Not concerned about the physical smoke, just the probability that something might be wrong with the motor. I can live with a little smoke till it burns out as long as nothing internally is broke or ruined.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
If it is a stock filter you may need to replace it. It isn't a filter you oil.

Motor should be fine. Definately need to clean out the air box though. Too much oil is bad.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its a stock filter. Ok so Ill open her up tonight, clean the airbox out, clean the exhaust, top off the motor oil, and see what happens. Will update when possible. Thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't get it...how's the engine running after it's being laid down since there is a TOS? (Tip over sensor-cuts off the engine if it's tipped over).

·
Registered
199 Posts
invest in a K&N air filter you will be glad you did, and i think his is a 1st gen which didnt have a TOS...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 2nd Gen actually. This is second time it has been down and no TOS related issues to speak of. I have no clue why it has not activated. Im beginning to think I dont have one.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
It is possible to bypass the TOS. I think it should be right in the neighborhood of your battery sitting on a horizontal plastic tang.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yeah I have that. I think. for the TOS. Back to the smoke:

Cracked open the airbox and oil POURED out over the edge. There were even puddles of oil inside the airbox. I dont know if any oil managed to get down into those openings at bottom and back of airbox, but if it did, is that bad? Anyways, I soaked up all the oil inside and on edges of airbox. Took off the slip-on and there is def oil down the pipe. Is there a certain way I need to clean out the slip-on? Can I even clean down the lower part of the exhaust or just let it burn out? What seems to be the next stepbesides clean the oil, top the oil off, and let the excess oil in unwanted areas burn itself out? Thoughts? Thanks guys for the help.

Edit: I just so happen to have a K&N air filter and didnt even know it. Guy before me must have installed it. How does one go about cleaning this sucker? Just blast it with water and let it dry completely?

Edit Edit: found good video to clean K&N air filter-->

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
There is a special soap and oil for K&N filters. You can cheat and use gasoline, but that might hurt the cotton and/or glue that holds it together.

Good job getting the oil out of the airbox. The opening in the back of the airbox should just be vent hoses back to where the oil came from (inside the crankcase). It's been awhile since I've looked at my airbox, but I'm about 87% sure on that. As for the exhaust, I'd just unbolt the front header and pull the front header off (you might be able to do this, can't remember what stock looks like). Otherwise you will have to take the rear header off too. Just hose it out off the bike.

Or you could leave the oil in the pipe. It's just going to smoke for awhile. Some spirited riding might help "blow" it out.

Hopefully finding all the oil in the airbox will help you rest in piece. The oil is what it has been smoking. Worst case, you may have to replace spark plugs if they got too oily. No big deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts