Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm out riding enjoying the first time I'm not wearing the rain gear to keep the cold out and a group of riders fly by me. I'm going about 80 myself and five bikes just fly by as if I was riding a pedal-powered bicycle. Not but 30 seconds later two zoom past. Couple more seconds and three zoom by. Next thing I know is I see two bikes laying on their sides going down the highway right in front me just a little ways up.

It was one of those circumstances where it happens so fast, but as soon as I saw them down the only thing I could think of is I have to stop the traffic behind me as we're on the highway. So I quickly flashed my breaks to get the attention of the SUV behind me and then immediately come to a stop ending up only about 4 feet behind the first biker. The best thing I could have done is simply swerved out of the way (for my own safety anyways). Had I done that, the SUV would have most likely not noticed the two laying in the road in time.

One of the riders involved I think took off and went on. I can only guess he probably didn't want to be there when the cops came maybe because of a record or been drinking some. But anyways. The other guy ended up with a road-rashed knee and some how his leg ended up wedged between his tire and the bike, probably broken at best. Some other bikers had came up and we carried him to the side of the road.

I stayed there until the cops came and then I took off right as they arrived. I really didn't want to be associated with this group in any way as I estimate the first group was probably doing 140+ or so. I didn't see who hit who or anything and two of his group members were staying with him so I figured there was nothing I could do.

Was that the best thing to do, or should have I stayed and talked with the cops? Anyways, I'm glad they are as lucky as they are and that I didn't get creamed by an SUV.

Moral of the post is: Don't be stupid out there as not many end up as lucky as these two were. Leave the squids to their own vices and don't succumb to 'group think shovinism'.

·
Registered
381 Posts
:thumbsup: I don't like squids myself, but I commend you for doing what you did. I would always do anything within my means to help another downed rider. You pretty much saved the guy from getting run over, and left when police arrived. I would have likely done something similar. You definitley eraned a few thousand Karma Bucks tonight, pal!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
There isn't much you could have done had you stayed when the cops got there anyways. Good to hear that there are caring riders out there!!!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
You did what you could do.

I, on the other hand, would have kicked the douche's ass while he was down.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yes good job man, I think you probably did save his life. He would have gotten pwned by that SUV if you hadnt stopped.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
You took a pretty big risk stopping on the freeway like that to help, not many people today would have done that. Good for you for doing the right thing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That was quick thinking and you most certainly did prevent the rider from getting run over. The main danger of highway crashes are the other nonaccident drivers who are not paying attention and runover the crash victim as they lay in the road. I lost one of my best friends years ago when he and two other bystanders were trying to rescue a woman who had lost control and flipped her Jeep on the highway. An 18 wheeler ran into the Jeep when my friend was inside trying to help free the woman. Sorry to go off topic, but after all these years I still recall this tragic event every time I hear about highway crashes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
vapor that's terrible. but good on him for thinking quick enough to prevent that this time. the world needs more people who think of others, even if the others are squids. :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sorry to hear about your friend Vapor. I know this probably doesn't help but I would rather die in a Jeep trying to help someone then live the rest of my life thinking back to the time where I just stood by and just watched a semi claim someone.

I don't know that it was much of thinking as just instant reacting. I was aware of the vehicle behind me and for a split second I flashed back to my accident finding myself laying in the road and just 'knew' I had to get the traffic stopped. It really didn't seam like a decision, it just happened.

It felt a little odd taking off to 'avoid' the police. Last accident I witnessed I stayed around in the freezing cold for 20 min until they got there and am currently going through the local citizen's police academy. It was just that I don't think I could have added anything helpful and didn't want to risk being associated with this group of riders as they were obviously being a danger to the public. They were all sports bikes and I have the full fairings so I fit right in.

Heh, seams like I risked my safety but I didn't want to risk any possible complications with the law. (Maybe because I had just got my first speeding ticket a month ago)

Anyways, I hope everybody has a great Easter!

Edit: Oh, and thanks all for the kind words. Hopefully this might make people think twice about their unsafe riding and inspire others to help someone in need, whither it's their own fault or not.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
good story! pretty courageous to stop on the freeway like that, you were definitely thinking about it. you could have waited for the LEOs to get there but since you didn't actually see what happened you may have not been of much help, aside from that fact that they flew past you with wet roads.

job well done!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
The main danger of highway crashes are the other nonaccident driv.
Sorry about your loss as well. I've twice witnessed the aftermath/ cleanup of an accident almost be worse then the accident itself. Once, I was leaving to make sure an ambulance was on the way (no cell service) and a car that stopped to let me out was nearly rear-ended by some bikes (one barely avoided me head-on and wound up WAY off the road/ totaled). More recently, I wound up off the road myself and two old ladies stopped to check on me and as I was trying to get them back into their car (i'm fine, I'm fine!), a jeep came around the corner at 2-3X the limit and locked up its brakes for 100' (and didn't hit the grannies who were out of their car in the middle of the road). Scared the crap out of me.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I don't think it would have hurt to talk to the police. I don't think they would associate you with them. He might ask you, but it wouldn't be hard to verify that you don't know any of them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
personally i would've not stopped in the highway lane because you at that moment put your own life at risk. and an SUV behind me i dont trust too much. would just slowed down considerably and stopped on shoulder. you did what you had to do. and it worked. i'd hate to be the guy who gets plowed from behind trying to prevent an accident.

one night last fall a buddy and myself were on shoulder of a curvy 2laner. chatting smoking cigs for 20min. at about midnight. when a passat wagon passes us going at least 75. hits bump in road, takes flight, slams hard down, fishtails and flys off into woods. RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY EYES. (it was awesome) one TEENAGE driver stumbles out reeking of hardliquor. (was a nice touch i thought) airbags saved his life. he was fine. thankgod because i thought by the accident we were gonna walk onto a bloody mess. since we were the only two witnesses called cops and ended up going to court for the state. where this KID got made an example of. had this kid been going in the opposite direction my friend and i wouldve been killed.

moral of story. your on your bike. see a teenager driving around you. get away from em. cuz chances are their probably staring at your bike and not the road.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
good story! pretty courageous to stop on the freeway like that, you were definitely thinking about it. you could have waited for the LEOs to get there but since you didn't actually see what happened you may have not been of much help, aside from that fact that they flew past you with wet roads.

job well done!

He DID wait for the police. Read his 1st post.

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
In most places it's a serious offense to fail to "stop and render aid". You did what you could.

I assume you meant highway (since that's what you said), not freeway as some are referring to... either way, it's risky.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts