Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum as well as a beginner rider. I picked up a 2001 Suzuki SV650 and it's been treating me well until yesterday. My brother and I put in HID headlights into my bike and the end result is bright lights and now a bike that won't start. We propped the tank up so we could hide the wires and make it look nice, but when we started the bike up after the install it started out fine, but slowly died out and now just wont start. We checked all the fuel lines made sure gasoline was pushing through and we have spark. I'm thinking that when we propped the tank up, sludge drifted through the lines and clogged up the carbs. If anyone can help deduce the problem and maybe show me how to clean the carbs I'd be very appreciative.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Recent development, we got the bike to start up, but now without choke on it is bogging down heavily and will stall itself out after a period of time. When the choke is on, the idle isn't fast enough and stalls out when any throttle is added. Also, the RPM counter is not functioning. Could this actually effect anything besides not knowing your revs? I'm up a creek without a paddle, any help would be useful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More recent development on the problem. I got the bike to run and sound properly, but it has half the power that it should. I have the throttle wide open in second gear and all SV riders know that's a bad idea, yet I can still easily hold on. Anymore info some one could give me would be great.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Are you sure it is running on both cylinders? A temperature gun shot at the pipes will answer that in an instant. You might have dislodged a coil plug while mucking about under the tank. If both pipes are hot, see which one is hotter and look at the other carb for your obstruction or problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts