Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a replacement fuel tank for my track bike. I'm aware of the 03-06 CA model tank recall...but once the tank is separated from the bike, is there a way to identify the tank as CA or a 49-stater? Any tell-tale markings or features?

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
140 Posts
So... I need further clarification. I have a CA bike, but I believe my replacement tank is a 48 state model. Can someone post a pic of the bottom of a CA tank? I have two nipples on on side, and one on the other, then there is the connection point for the gas, but I guess that goes to the fuel pump. So, is the third nipple over by the pump for the reservoir tank overflow drainage or should it connect to the EVAP system? Lastly, is there a good write up on venting a CA gas cap? It seems like I should just remove and plug the EVAP system and vent my gas cap. THANKS in advance!

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
That third nipple on the other side is CA thing. It should go to canister under tail but you can just plug it under tank. CA gas cap is vented, through one of the hoses on those two nipples next to each other. You can just let that hose hang next to engine like none CA models.

·
Registered
140 Posts
thanks tovar, studying ebay pics confirms your message. I have another CA tank afterall. (still thinking about removing that system though because it's a ***** to get my aftermarket undertail on and off).

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
CA gas cap is vented, through one of the hoses on those two nipples next to each other. You can just let that hose hang next to engine like none CA models.
If the CA cap is vented....how does the evap system work? What is the purpose of the charcoal canister if the vapors can escape somewhere else? Suzuki sells two caps....vented and non for the CA bikes from what I saw because I just bought a vented version.

Edit: I just pulled my old CA tank out of the closet and blew air through all the tubes underneath. The two lines together on the right side connect to the drain holes on each side of the filler neck. They are NOT into the fuel compartment. The third tube on the left IS the vapor separator and could serve as a vent if you route it somewhere so fuel can't slosh up into its fittings inside the tank neck. I just ran mine up to the steering head for a temporary fix until the vented cap came in. Worked OK. But that tube capped and the proper filler cap installed I think will be better. Make it a proper 49 Stater.:)

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
If the CA cap is vented....how does the evap system work? What is the purpose of the charcoal canister if the vapors can escape somewhere else? Suzuki sells two caps....vented and non for the CA bikes from what I saw because I just bought a vented version.
It goes through pipe in tank and out to canister via hose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts