Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work for one of the direct importers and have finally convinced them to listen. Instead of buying wheels and machining spacers and other headaches would a specific fit Marchesini be of interest? Also would you want it in 17x5 or 17x5.5? First run will be mag and later aluminum if the demand is enough. This will be rears only so front end conversions will be needed. Pricing will be the same as current production. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
228 Posts
This is may not be the best market segment to be trying to sell aftermarket wheels to. Post #2 may convince you of that, but you don't find many inquiries on this board searching for fine craftmanship or premium materials. What you do get is "cheapest".

see - http://forum.svrider.com/search.php?searchid=2607238&pp=25

of course, racers may be interested, and it depends on how many you need to sell.

·
Registered
287 Posts
it would be great if they made a specific fit rear rim being I can use a gixxer front on mine.
:D

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
A 5.5" rear would allow you to run a 180/55. That would be a great combo with the GSXR front end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it would be great if they made a specific fit rear rim being I can use a gixxer front on mine.
:D
Thats the idea behind this. The addition of a good front end will get you the correct fitment and better suspension. The rear has allways been the problem because spacers and machine work. This way the rear is a simple swap with zero mods to the OE.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
I work for one of the direct importers and have finally convinced them to listen. Instead of buying wheels and machining spacers and other headaches would a specific fit Marchesini be of interest? Also would you want it in 17x5 or 17x5.5? First run will be mag and later aluminum if the demand is enough. This will be rears only so front end conversions will be needed. Pricing will be the same as current production. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
I think it would depend on their costs. If they could do it fairly cheaply so that they started making profit almost immediately then they should. If it'll take a LOT of rims to turn a buck then it's probably not worth it.

I mean there is a guy on here that has been trying to sell 3 of them for the last 3 months. He already made them fit. All you have to do is buy them and mount them up.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Forget it. Market segment = too small. If SV Riders were, on whole, the type of people to drop big coin on rims, they wouldn't have gotten a cheap ass bike like the SV in the first place.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
There are already aftermarket wheel makers to fit the SV, as well as easy refits- it'll not be hard at all to find a suitable Marchesini to adapt to the SV, just look at the OEM spec wheels we fit already. Myself, I'm using an F3-fitment Dymag

The trouble is... People who want the performance will probably still buy the Dymags or PVMs, since they're generally a better performance option. And the people who just want the looks are generally fitting the OEM spec wheels which are a) not actually anything special, and b) cheap. So you have 2 different market segments, both very small, and neither all that well suited to this.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Forget it. Market segment = too small. If SV Riders were, on whole, the type of people to drop big coin on rims, they wouldn't have gotten a cheap ass bike like the SV in the first place.
Who you callin' cheap!?

;D

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
A 5.5" rear would allow you to run a 180/55. That would be a great combo with the GSXR front end.
A 180 tire on an SV is a waste of time. The carcass is too big and heavy to warm up properly with the low hp output of the SV. The 165 Bridgestone slick that was designed for 250 GP bikes is a much better application for the HP and weight of an SV and it was designed for a 5.5" wide rim. (before somebody goes telling me that a 165 is too narrow for a 5.5" rim, I got my info directly from Bridgestone technical support.) I have a 5.5" Marvic Penta magnesium wheel on the back of my SV right now, and it works great along with the B'stone slick. (Hard to go wrong with Marchesiniss, but I found a deal on a Marvic rim.)
Wheels are the best place to save weight on just about any bike, so they are one of the top upgrades that you can do IMHO.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Let's figure this one out together...

r3t1awr3yd ∈ {SV havers}

{SV havers} ⊂ {cheap ass mofos}

Therefore -

r3t1awr3yd ∈ {cheap ass mofos}

:nana:
You take that back you H8R!!

I bought my SV because the price was awesome AND insurance was cheap. If insurance on a Gixxer-6 was cheap, I probably would have bought one of those. (I'm not joking either. I just like the look of them a LOT). SV is good to beat up though till I get good at this whole riding thing lol.

(i'll keep the SV till it explodes. i'll add an SS in the future though)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.