Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m just wondering if the ecu/cdi is interchangeable on the 2003 sv1000 and do they have built in immobilisers, it won’t start and and injectors aren’t fuelling, cheers

·
very big dumb
9,053 Posts
what are the codes in dealer mode?
100ohm resistance on the ignition plug is the only immobilizer

·
Super Moderator
9,069 Posts
The SV650 vs SV1000 ECMs are not interchangeable.

The ECM is rarely the problem for no start.

What happened just prior to the bike not starting?

Does the engine crank over strong?

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when the key is first turned on?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The SV650 vs SV1000 ECMs are not interchangeable.

The ECM is rarely the problem for no start.

What happened just prior to the bike not starting?

Does the engine crank over strong?

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when the key is first turned on?
Hi mate I’ve managed to get the bike running today, tested wiring to ecu, was ok found that it needed a 100 ohm resistor inline on the thin orange wire at ignition, had to use alittle easy start as it’s not run in a while but now it’s not idling well and still need to use easy start sometimes, would it matter if injector plugs are wrong way round as in I’ve had them off and can’t remember which went to which lol or could it be something else

·
Super Moderator
9,069 Posts
... would it matter if injector plugs are wrong way round as in I’ve had them off and can’t remember which went to which lol...
It makes a difference but the engine will still run, I don't know how poorly but the problem would be more pronounced at idle.

Front injector#1 is Gray/White, Rear injector#2 is Gray/Black.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It makes a difference but the engine will still run, I don't know how poorly but the problem would be more pronounced at idle.

Front injector#1 is Gray/White, Rear injector#2 is Gray/Black.
Brilliant thank you il try it either tomorrow or Friday, hopefully once it’s running I can concentrate on the cosmetic side of things, not a bad bike to be fair

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi mate just managed to get back on with the sv1000, I’ve swapped injector plugs over but still find it won’t start without easy start, it’s revving isn’t right and pops and backfires through throttle bodies, I’ve got 2 spare injectors to try but could it be something else, it’s a strange one

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Have you ever witnessed the engine running properly....or is this a new machine to you and you've just now got it to run? If the latter....you might have inherited someone else's mistakes, so were I in your shoes I'd go to 'Square One' and begin by checking the cam timing just to make sure it's correct. The engine WILL run with the cams out of time...but not as well as it should and we've had more than a few members do valve adjustments and get the cams in wrong...which can be really tricky to diagnose if you don't check and proceed to injectors or ignition searching for the problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you ever witnessed the engine running properly....or is this a new machine to you and you've just now got it to run? If the latter....you might have inherited someone else's mistakes, so were I in your shoes I'd go to 'Square One' and begin by checking the cam timing just to make sure it's correct. The engine WILL run with the cams out of time...but not as well as it should and we've had more than a few members do valve adjustments and get the cams in wrong...which can be really tricky to diagnose if you don't check and proceed to injectors or ignition searching for the problem.
Hi mate, it’s new to me, was a non runner but fit a 100ohm resistor in-line on ignition wire etc and hey presto it ran, just not right, it’s not ticking over unless I use alittle easy start n tickle throttle, battery voltage is 12.6 b4 start, it’s backfiring and popping up throttle bodies

·
Super Moderator
9,069 Posts
What Rob said. Also, it is getting more common to have clogged fuel filters on these 18yo bikes, especially if they have been sitting. Are there signs of rust in the tank? Maybe do a fuel volume test.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What Rob said. Also, it is getting more common to have clogged fuel filters on these 18yo bikes, especially if they have been sitting. Are there signs of rust in the tank? Maybe do a fuel volume test.
Hi mate where would the fuel filter be, it does prime ok and pumps a good amount of fuel on cranking, I’m gonna check timing ASAP as it needs to be right definitely, I’ve swapped injectors and made adjustments on the screw ont n/s but made little difference

·
Super Moderator
9,069 Posts
The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump assy located inside the tank. You want to see 6oz volume in ten seconds.

To get ~10 second run time just cycle the key 3 times (3 sec for each key-On). Do not jump 12v to the pump as the manual suggests.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Font Automotive lighting

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi teeriver, I’ve just managed to get back on the bike and do the fuel pump discharge test and it’s fine, I’ve been checking the timing but not sure where the cams are supposed to be in relation to each cylinder on TDC, also if the ignition resistor had failed and was giving full voltage down the line could it cause the ecu/cdi to go faulty, I can’t find any information on how to check cam timing online there are no marks for where the cams are supposed to be for me to check

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Hi teeriver, I’ve just managed to get back on the bike and do the fuel pump discharge test and it’s fine, I’ve been checking the timing but not sure where the cams are supposed to be in relation to each cylinder on TDC, also if the ignition resistor had failed and was giving full voltage down the line could it cause the ecu/cdi to go faulty, I can’t find any information on how to check cam timing online there are no marks for where the cams are supposed to be for me to check
SV1000S 2003 Service Manual There's the service manual for you. :) The cam timing is kind of weird in that you set the front cylinder to TDC ('F' mark on rotor) and install cams with timing marks as per the manual. Then you rotate the motor 360 back to 'F' (same rotation as the wheels rolling forward) and install the rear cams. Valve clearances on the front jug are checked at the timing position but the rear must be set at the 'R' rotor mark to check the clearances which is TDC firing like the front. Kind of strange procedure but that's what it is.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts