Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the info - 2001 SV650S, I picked it up last year in Sept with intentions of racing in CCS lightweight this summer....took it out for a spin in the parking lot last weekend and got the old sweet smell in the exhaust (engine ice in the radiator). Bike is running fine in terms of pull and accelleration, only place I found the white and milky oil/water bit was on the bottom of the oil fill cap, can't see anything much via the oil level window on the right side - oil looks ok there (previous stuff came out looking aweful though, chalked it up to sitting for 2.5 years...)

So here's the question o most wise bretheren - 1) blown head gasket or normal (I'm betting not normal), 2) what are the odds something more significant is wrong with the motor (aka cracked/warped head)

Only thing I can think of to add is the carbs were a mess and the bike was run exceedingly lean for a short span while figuring it out, maybe got hot and roasted teh gasket? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A year and a half ago I bought an 00 SV650 naked that sat outside for a couple of years. The bike came with a spare engine that showed coolant leaking around the head gasket. I decided to work on the spare engine and got it ready to swap. I took the heads off, cleaned and replaced the headgaskets, checked the heads for warping, put it back together and it has been fine since. I did not put that many miles on it last year, but I'll have it back on the road in a week or two. If you have the time to do it yourself you can save a lot of money and buy the parts online at ronayers.com

Where are you located?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts