Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today when I was riding, (this is the only time it has ever happened) I was accelerating hard, WOT. I shifted to 2nd very quickly and got back on WOT. It held for a second or two then POP and it went into neutral and hit the rev limiter. This was the first time this has EVER happened. It didn't do it the rest of the ride. Should I be concerned? Or did it just slip out of gear?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Today when I was riding, (this is the only time it has ever happened) I was accelerating hard, WOT. I shifted to 2nd very quickly and got back on WOT. It held for a second or two then POP and it went into neutral and hit the rev limiter. This was the first time this has EVER happened. It didn't do it the rest of the ride. Should I be concerned? Or did it just slip out of gear?
it often happens to me when I accelerate hard >_< I hate it

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dude, you're screwed...
Really? It just felt like it slipped out of gear, or like the gear wasn't all the way engaged, then slipped back into neutral. Just wondering what else would cause that? I have heard of sometimes if you dont get it all the way in gear when your shifting fast, it can just pop out of gear, thats what I am hoping it is. What else could that be though because it seemed to ride fine the rest of the way home...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Really? It just felt like it slipped out of gear, or like the gear wasn't all the way engaged, then slipped back into neutral. Just wondering what else would cause that? I have heard of sometimes if you dont get it all the way in gear when your shifting fast, it can just pop out of gear, thats what I am hoping it is. What else could that be though because it seemed to ride fine the rest of the way home...
Don't listen to people that say ''your screwed'' without any explanation, they just want to get a higher post count. Someone serious will answer your question.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't listen to people that say ''your screwed'' without any explanation, they just want to get a higher post count. Someone serious will answer your question.
lol I was starting to worry. I cant afford a new transmission! Or whatever it would be doing that... Im sure it wouldnt be cheap... :(

·
Registered
799 Posts
this happened only once? nothing to worry about, it never got in gear fully.
it has nothing to do with clutch mantra :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Never had it happen on my SV. But on my old Ninja I had it happen a few times. I did not do anything to that bike.. so...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok cool thanks guys!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've learned the most common cause is bent shift forks. If that particular fork is bent just a little it won't allow the dogs on the gear to positively engage the dogs on the next gear and centrifugal force will make them jump apart. just my 2 cents but I'm by no means an expert.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Yeah, sounds like your downshift was half hearted and under load if popped out. Shift definitively. Thinks should be fine

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Same thing.

·
Registered
740 Posts
This has happened to once or twice, but each time I quickly realized that I had been a little bit lazy with the shift lever. If it was only once, it's possible you didn't fully engage second. Especially for 1-2, make sure it's a firm, full throw. If it becomes more common, then look for a solution.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
**** dude you have me figured out. It's my dream to break 300 posts. /sarcasm off

For the OP, I was giving you a hard time. Your bike is fine. Take the advice that's already been posted here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts