Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike has been running great since we fixed it - I rode for a bit today and everything was fine. Stopped and refueled, restarted the engine, gave it a little throttle and I heard a pop/bang (not backfire-loud, but almost mechanical sounding) - sounded like it came from the front cylinder.

It didn't want to hold an idle, but I was able to coax it the ~1.5mi home. There's no knocking sounds...just an 'airy' sound from the front cylinder (I thought it was an exhaust leak at first) and it doesn't have much power. It's also about twice as loud as it was before.

Any ideas? It's cooling down now..I haven't poked around much yet.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I guess I'll pull the plug and look for anything weird, and go from there..
Possibly, you will just find that the plug has blown out and you have to screw it back in.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Possibly, you will just find that the plug has blown out and you have to screw it back in.
That would explain the exhaust leak sound. If that's the case, hopefully it didn't blow the threads out too. I'll take a peek.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
That would explain the exhaust leak sound. If that's the case, hopefully it didn't blow the threads out too. I'll take a peek.
The threads are likely fine for the most part. You might have lost the last one but it won't matter. The plug had to spin itself out most of the way first before the pop; there aren't many things that can make it blow through all the threads. good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The front carb had somehow popped off. Problem solved. :)

Edit: Popped off again today. I'm going to have to pull it apart and figure out what's wrong..

·
Registered
367 Posts
The front carb had somehow popped off. Problem solved. :)

Edit: Popped off again today. I'm going to have to pull it apart and figure out what's wrong..
Check the service manual closely to make sure you have the boots aligned properly and everything is routed correctly so that nothing is pushing up on them.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Check the service manual closely to make sure you have the boots aligned properly and everything is routed correctly so that nothing is pushing up on them.
Hopefully it's not backfiring that is causing it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hopefully it's not backfiring that is causing it.
Nope, definitely not a backfire.

They fit in there pretty well...I put it back together and put a few miles on the bike. I checked the screw on the clamp after I got back, and was able to tighten it several turns more. I'm guessing it is either working loose or wasn't tight enough to begin with. I will keep an eye on it, but ~40mi today and it was fine. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts