Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so the other Poll-Polls have been closed. Good, no- great.

However, can we still consider setting the board such that voting doesn't bump poll threads or at least have no poll last more than a couple weeks?

If there is a good reason that we can't do this, I apologize in advance for beleaguering the point.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about a section for polls? Similar to the "For Sale" or "Workshop" sections.
No, they'd still be at the top when you click "new posts" or "subscribed threads."

·
Registered
428 Posts
Blasts!

I still think a poll section would be best, because most of the polls are pointless anyway. A poll section would also make sure that polls don't get lost.

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Some time needs to be taken to go through and close old polls. Nothing can be done except closing the threads and some should not be.

To say the act is getting old is an understatement. Please allow some time to get this accomplished as there are (only a guess), well over 1000 polls just in the Main Forum.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some time needs to be taken to go through and close old polls. Nothing can be done except closing the threads and some should not be.

To say the act is getting old is an understatement. Please allow some time to get this accomplished as there are (only a guess), well over 1000 polls just in the Main Forum.
Ugh!
I figured there would just be a global setting to change from "yes" to "no" and didn't imagine the only was to go through them individually. I'd check with Rob or somebody that knows VB or SMF or whatever we use now before undertaking that particular venture.
Thanks Ranger.

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Already consulting higher authorities and forum gurus. I've only gotten through about 4000 threads out of 25,000 or so just in the main forum. This dating back only to the first of November.

·
Registered
854 Posts
How about a section for polls? Similar to the "For Sale" or "Workshop" sections.
I would think this would be a bad idea layout wise. There are situations where polls make sense, or really help the OP, and in those cases should be able to stay in whatever forum that is (ie, Gen1 Workshop ...)

One that comes to mind was ASCSurveyor's wheel color choice thread, and I know there are others where folks need some feedback on a design choice and polls are often a good way to do it.

The more reasonable thing is tcl's suggestion of a couple week life span for each poll.

Ranger, thanks for going through and clearing house.

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
The more reasonable thing is tcl's suggestion of a couple week life span for each poll.

The main point that I raised, to get a definite limit. Right now, it auto populates to "0", which means the poll will stay open indefinitely. Hopefully, I simple programming code will change this. It is being worked on.

More to come.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts