Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously, this is in light of RandyO's statement "sounds like you left yourself open with bad lane position, then you resorted to road rage. get a life and learn to ride in traffic and hopefully never near me" from this thread:  http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=46492.0

Honestly, I'm amazed he thinks my lane position was bad. Perhaps I misunderstood him or maybe he misunderstood my story.

This is not a personal attack. The question was simply raised.

Seems to me that if I sit in the middle of the lane at a light, I'd be sitting in a wonderful mixture of chemicals: oil, power steering fluid, water, brake fluid, and antifreeze/coolant. Also, my view of traffic behind and ahead of me is obscured, the cage in front of me may not be able to see me and the cage behind me could bump or ram me (on accident or purpose) and make a Shaggy/SV sandwich.

On the other hand, positioned as I was (and usually am) in the left hand side of the lane 1 to 2 feet from the white line, I avoid the vehicle milkshake on the pavement, I am in the front cage's side-view mirror, I won't become a sandwich, I can see behind and in front of me, and I have an out (between the cars in front of me) if something stupid happens behind me: such as a woman in minivan trying to be a part of my lane.

In general, that's how I always sit in traffic; however, there are some times when I see fit to be in a different part of the lane.  One such example could be a dead animal in the road right there. I usually pick left or right, but not center.

I don't lane-split and I wasn't and don't stop on the white line; nor do I remotely regularly ride maliciously or squiddly diddly-do.

Josh

N

·
0 Posts
(Standard Disclaimer: I didn't read the original thread, so I don't know the exact situation in question)

Like most things on the road, it's situation-dependent, but I usually stay slightly left of center. Too far to the extreme L or R and there's a better than average chance that someone will try to park on top of you. Center of the lane is a mess so I almost never go there.

Staying left allows right turning traffic to move past you, which is a compromise, but they're gonna try it anyway even if there isn't enough room.

I prefer to be close enough to the edge of the lane where I can have some slim chance of escaping from the drunk behind me that blows through the light.

It's a jungle out there....

:)

·
Registered
359 Posts
I like to the side just a bit... side depends on what I feel will get me most noticed. For the most part, I am a little left of the center. I don't worry too much about the center around here... Never seems to be bad at all. I just like knowing that if I can see them coming and can react fast enough, I can get away.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
This is just me personally right or wrong its where im most comfortable its not advice.

I stay just to the left of center still in center lane position tho. This way I avoid the center where most of the muck is and I can be seen by those to my right turning left, yet still not too close to a car parked on the right that might suddenly decide to pull out. As with anything this is the general rule for MYSELF, some situations are obviously different.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I, too, say that it is dependent on the situation. The one thing I always do is leave myself an escape route. Whether that be in the right or left part of the lane. I am always planning on some [email protected] coming up and hitting me from behind. I had it happen once at low speed thankfully. As long as I can get away, I am happy with my position. THat is just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i usually stop on either the left or the right, and watch my mirrors, the last place i want to be is pinned between two cages (the one in front and behind me)

this way, if shit goes down...i know i wont be crushed between two cars, or maybe i can split lanes to get the fvck out of dodge

i never park in the center directly behind a stopped car in front of me....for the most part

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
sassichick said:
i stop where there is no oil buildup or puddles :)
right.. It just depends on circumstances which side I stop on, but the main thing I'm concerned about is not parking on the frickin oil slick ;)

·
Registered
482 Posts
FWIW, I just replied to the original post. According to the MSF handbook, the main objective is to stay away from the center of the lane, mainly at stop signs/lights and intersections as this is the main spot of oil build-up. This comes directly from the MSF handbook. I tend to stay left of center and will continue to do so. Just be careful, no matter where you stop, because you never know when you'll need to hop off the brake and get out of harms way (translation: move out of the lane b/c soccer mom/sorority girl/other is talking on their cell phone and don't see you).

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
when I come to a light, I stop over the left edge of the trip grid(usually about 1-1.5 feet to the left of center) , if there is not trip grid, I stop over where is would be. if I am first one at lite, otherwise center of lane 1 full car length space in front of me, at traffic proceeds thru the light I have plenty of time to aviod any oil/antifreeze puddles

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
yeah, anywhere in the lane where there's no oil. it varies.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Usually left of center, sometimes right of center, but never in the center. I like to have the option of being able to move up on the sides of the cars in front of me should I be concerned about getting hit from behind. I feel that if I'm stopped in the center I haven't left myself an "out" for any sticky situation that should arise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
dont you just want to make sure you have an exit? and at a light you dont want to be where the road is darkened by all the chemicals from the car. its not common sense but dosent take to much thinking to know where to go.

Just remember about the internet people talk rude because you are not in arms reach. i had a guy talk trash to me on the bike forum that i am on for enjoying riding on bike trails. dont let people like that bother you because most likely they wouldnt talk rude in front of your face.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Well at a light I sometimes pull to the right third of the lane just so they can see the brake light and car in front of me if the dumb ass behind me thinks I'm going slow. Other times I'll on the left third with my head light aiming into the drivers side mirror if they are going to slow and I want them to get their head out of their ass and drive their f'in car.

And while riding in heavy traffic I do what I have to to keep me from being hidden behind SUV, Trucks and Vans. I'll weave from line to line if I'm in a middle lane but I prefer to stick to the left lane. Then I don't have to worry about my 9 just keep in view on the right and it's like butta baby!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
In theory, one is supposed to remain in the left third of the lane (lane is divided in 3 thirds (duh)) but on traffic lights I stay closer to the middle so a$$hole in cage won't be as tempted to split my lane.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
All depends on the situation and what I believe will give me an 'out', balanced against visibility (mine and theirs).

IMO - there ARE bad lane positions. Ones that have the potential to cause you grief and issues.

I pay little attention to 'dirty' spots unless they're obvious. I consider them to be the least of my worries when in traffic.

·
Registered
551 Posts
i always stay in the center, it gives me a feeling of movement. i hate even riding in the far left or right of the lane if there is a car next to me! so i stay in the center of the lane when I'm stopped. unless of course I'm riding with somebody else.

·
Registered
93 Posts
CA bike rules pretty much say ride in the left wheel track, which is my prefered place regardless as it increases overall visibility, both what you can see, and what other drivers can see. I'm surprised that people say that they go in the center as they feel it increase their own visibility. Most drivers can't see 6" in front of their nose. If you are in the left wheel track, then you are directly infront of them. The center requires a little bit of head turing and/or peripheral visibility.

Andy

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I agree with Ruefus, I think it depends on the situation, and what lane you're in. The only place I feel really consistently uncomfortable is all the way to the right in the right hand lane. I'm just too invisible there, and too close to road debris and gravel. I prefer to be on the inside of lanes to be visible well ahead of cars approaching from the rear, but not so close that they think I'm changing into their lane. Its a pretty fine line... so I'm always watching the mirrors and, at stops, flashing my brake light.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts