Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been curious as to what the average mpg should be for the SV. I have an '02 SV650s, and I'm getting about 37 mpg (city). I know it'll depend on riding style and city vs highway, etc but haven't been able to find out if 37 is average or not. I guess prior to having the SV, I was under the impression that it should be higher and was wondering what everyone else out there is getting. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I get about the same as you now. We seem to be on the lower end of MPG. I see people here claiming numbers in the 50's. I actually just stepped down from 162.5 in front and 160 main in the rear. My MPG was in the low 30's previously. For the post you might want to edit it to include a standard response like this

Bike:2000 N
Mods: BMC filter, D&D slip on
Setup: 152.5 mains, 17.5 pilots, 2.5 turns on A/F screws, Dynojet needles
MPG: ~39

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
my 05 nekkid, best i've gotten is 59, worst i've gotten 47...
normal to hard riding..

K&N filter, Leo can..

·
Registered
314 Posts
08 650S, I went down a tooth in the front and i still get around 54mpg with moderate driving. I have a Two brothers slip on I drilled a bunch of holes in the airbox lid, seems to work good for me.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
with stock jetting, my fuel economy on my nekid red 99 was 48-50 for most rural riding, ti dropped to below 40 on the highway at sustained highway speeds

after I had it jetted, the around town/rural riding was mid to low 40s, highway was most to low 30s . range of highway was as low as 110 miles per tank

·
Registered
119 Posts
'99 Naked, all stock (tires too), only mod is mufflerectomoy, and I generally get mid-high 40s in all-around (rural/highway/not much city) riding. I've gotten as high as 55 doing lots of 2-lane 55-60mph riding in 6th gear. My fuel light usually comes on around 140-150 miles and i don't sweat it until I'm over 175-185.

Riding style and gear choice can make a noticeable difference. As soon as I find myself stuck behind slower traffic, I'm always up in 5th or 6th gear. If I'm gonna be forced to go slow, might as well get some benefit. If you're in the city, there's no reason to rev over 4k before shifting. (if improving mileage is the goal)

-Dave

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
If you're in the city, there's no reason to rev over 4k before shifting. (if improving mileage is the goal)

-Dave

maybe if your a lightweight

I consider under 4k on the tach, almost lugging the engine

I find that rpm doesn't make as much difference as throttle position,

if you can maintain higher rpm with less throttle, you will get better milage

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm over 200lb with my gear, so I wouldn't call myself a lightweight. I generally agree with your notion of minimum throttle opening being good, but lower RPM = lower fuel consumption (esp with EFI), extreme examples excluded. And 4k RPM to maintain 35mph or less (I specifically mentioned city riding in slow traffic) does not qualify as lugging, IMO, because the throttle can't be open more than 25% in that condition. Of course, YMMV. :)

-Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks to everyone who replied. just for clarification, my '02 SV650s is completely stock, and i almost always just under 40mpg unless i'm doing highways. then that gets closer to 50mpg. i usually hit 130 miles or so when the fuel light starts to flash. seems that most other riders are doing better than i am. not quite sure yet if i should be concerned about it.

would anyone be gracious enough to share tips on how i can improve my mpg? thanks in advance and safe riding to everyone!

·
Registered
385 Posts
would anyone be gracious enough to share tips on how i can improve my mpg? thanks in advance and safe riding to everyone!
I was surprised when I found my mileage go down when I babied it. My SV seems to like to stay above 5k and when I cruise I try to stay 5500 to 6000... that nets me in the low 50's. Another surprise - a day of hard riding in the mountains gets me my best overall MPG, which really doesn't make any sense at all. I guess the 20 mile trip on the superslab to and from the canyons compensates and brings the average up?

When I "commute" to work (4 miles each way) I get around 45... of course the tank lasts a month...

Two Brothers slip-on, jetted for higher altitude, and about 19k miles. Runs a little rich at 6000 ft.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was surprised when I found my mileage go down when I babied it. My SV seems to like to stay above 5k and when I cruise I try to stay 5500 to 6000... that nets me in the low 50's. Another surprise - a day of hard riding in the mountains gets me my best overall MPG, which really doesn't make any sense at all. I guess the 20 mile trip on the superslab to and from the canyons compensates and brings the average up?

When I "commute" to work (4 miles each way) I get around 45... of course the tank lasts a month...

Two Brothers slip-on, jetted for higher altitude, and about 19k miles. Runs a little rich at 6000 ft.

I have the same set-up but I'm at 600ft. I took a long day trip the other weekend with fairly low air pressure in the tires(high 20's) and still averaged 45mpg for almost 300 miles. I aired up my tires the other day and on the last partial tank of 149 miles I topped off at 3.24 gal. That's almost 46 mpg. On weekends when I'm riding really hard staying with liter bikes I still get in the low 40's. I have seen high 40's and even low 50's on longer trips with favorable winds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been curious as to what the average mpg should be for the SV. I have an '02 SV650s, and I'm getting about 37 mpg (city). I know it'll depend on riding style and city vs highway, etc but haven't been able to find out if 37 is average or not. I guess prior to having the SV, I was under the impression that it should be higher and was wondering what everyone else out there is getting. Thanks!
stock '06 SV650S. mild riding. combo 40 city/ 60 hwy ...
getting approx. 5.4L/100km (43.5 US mpg, 52.3 Imp mpg)

·
Registered
603 Posts
02 naked
152.5 main jet
17.5 pilot jet
OEM desnokeled air filter
2 shims on needle
3 turns a/f
120/70 front tire
14t front spocket

I get about 90-95 before the light comes on and I always punch the throttle (R6 tube).

I wished I had better mileage...what could I do off the bat that will increase mileage, drop the jet size, adjust a/f mixture?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts