Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Do you feel that you are more cautious after an accident or close call?

• Yes

Votes: 80 75.5%
  • No

Votes: 21 19.8%
  • I don't know/neither

Votes: 5 4.7%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I am writing a research proposal for a class in college that is related to motorcycle safety education. I can't give more information because it may bias the poll responses. I am just curious about the effect that an accident or close call has had on your riding habits.

Please answer yes if you have found yourself less likely to take risks or if you have found yourself more cautious in general after an accident or close call. Examples of "cautious" behavior would be lower speeds, being more wary of other traffic, or increased use of safety gear.

Please answer no if you felt there was not any change in your level of caution after an accident or close call.

Please answer "do not know" if you are not sure but still want to participate.

If you want to explain your answers please feel free to do so!

Thank you!

UPDATE
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone! This was actually really helpful with my research proposal.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
After a crash, I was a bit more reserved.. after a close call, I'm usually mentally processing the how and why, and if it wasn't my own doing specifically... carry on at previous pace. If it was my own doing, corrections to technique are made to insure a better chance of not repeating the mistake. Slowing down teaches me nothing in either case anyway. I'm going to ride fast(er than others around me), why not just be comfortable where you work..

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'll put yes, because after the first crash I signed up for the MSF, and after the second, I got myself a proper pair of motorcycle boots.

However, after 20,000 miles of riding, I am less fazed by certain things. Little slips of the rear on painted surfaces, for example, and I just ride on. I am capable of riding faster now than I was then, and much more confidently, though I don't always.

I rarely have close calls with other motorists because I am constantly riding strategically to keep me out of danger.

·
Registered
250 Posts
No I dont worry about getting into a accident when I ride, I accepted the risk a long time go. But I do ride slower now that I am older but I think its because I appreciate different things about riding like simply being in the environment wherever I ride, unlike when I am not in a cage, I think the feeling is great.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
A crash or near-miss is similar to getting pulled over by a cop. Whether you get a warning or a ticket, most of us tend to travel a little more slowly/cautiously for at least a short period afterwards.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, I wrote my first bike off on a bridge with raised wooden wheel tracks and it took a good five or six times over the same bridge before I felt totally comfortable there again. Got to love rural new zealand roads to keep you sharp though.

·
very big dumb
9,066 Posts
no. most of my crashes and close calls are during mini racing. so what I find myself doing it picking up the bike and trying to make up the time lost all in the next lap (doesn't usually work, but I have regained positions after a crash).

on roads, i used the experience as a reminder to ride smarter and that's about it

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm an ATGATT kind of person, but last August I was trail biking in the desert and it got so hot I went on one little easy dirt road ride in my sneakers and wiped out on a gravelly turn.
Results:
Distal spiral fracture of the fibula
Dislocation at the base of the 2nd metatarsal (Lisfranc injury)

Foot is just now strong enough to ride a bicycle. Thinking about riding the SV this coming week since the weather looks promising. I'm short though and worried about stability with the foot. Yeah, I'm gonna be cautious. And wearing all the cool new gear I bought while lying on the couch with my smartphone.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Can't say I've changed my riding after any close call- I've had so many silly things happen, people sucking at driving, dogs, cats, deer... and of course the occasional lack of attention on my part- each one spooked me in the moment- which is as far as I am concerned perfectly normal... but they didn't spook me enough that I lost control or over did it (the whole survival reactions thing, I think I've tamed it pretty well)

That said I just ride as best I can...

Maybe once I wreck for real I'll post something different ;) I've only got 4 years or so.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts