Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone polished there stock black wheels. somebody was careless when changing my rear tire and scratched it pretty bad. as far as i know the wheels are aluminum so they should polish well, then mabye add a clear coat.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any pics or suggestions most people would go chrome but i like the polished look.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
actually, none of us would "go chrome" as we prefer our bikes be light and nimble.

most of us leave our wheels a solid silver or black.

yeah, aircraft stripper will take the paint off, then you just need to use polishing compound on the exposed aluminum.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for pics, looks great, did you tape off the center section and did you clear coat. where in germany? my cousins in (bingen)spelling?

·
Registered
220 Posts
actually, none of us would "go chrome" as we prefer our bikes be light and nimble.

most of us leave our wheels a solid silver or black.

yeah, aircraft stripper will take the paint off, then you just need to use polishing compound on the exposed aluminum.
Why,does chrome add weight?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i wondered the same thing but it makes sense if your adding metal plating your adding weight not much but i guess ever bit counts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you think about it polishing the wheels could be a performance upgrade, because of the reduced weight of the paint again not much but the paint does look pretty thick

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
thanks for pics, looks great, did you tape off the center section and did you clear coat. where in germany? my cousins in (bingen)spelling?
Yep, taped the center but didn't use clear coat.
I wouldn't recommend using clear coat because when a stone hits the wheel the coat gets damaged and you will get corrosion when water gets under the coat. And that will soon look creepy...
Better polish it periodically...

I live in the north near bremen about 500km from bingen :)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
from experience, carb cleaner does a pretty good job of helping rub off your wheel paint. :(

·
Registered
854 Posts
Nille, that looks really sharp. I can't believe I didn't notice it in any of your other pics yet, like the SVOTM ones, but it goes great with your bike.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea i agree it does look good i like the black center contrast, got a pick of the front?

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Nille, that looks really sharp. I can't believe I didn't notice it in any of your other pics yet, like the SVOTM ones, but it goes great with your bike.
Thank you :)
Sometimes needs more than just one view...

once again thats why I always voted for you nille. your bike is about the details
Ah, so you are the one ;D lol

yea i agree it does look good i like the black center contrast, got a pick of the front?
Yep, got a pic of the front, also posted it in the svotm thread ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how did u get the staight line, did you tape?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts