Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This tank was painted white when I got the bike, and it was originally copper. I used flat black primer for awhile:

Before:

After a bit of sanding you can see the layers:

Ewwww:

Getting closer:

Just a few more small things and it'll be done. If anybody else has done this, post some photos!!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is that going to blind you like crazy when you ride? but I think it looks pretty cool. A big ass reflector is what it seems like it'll do. :D
Ha! That's a good question. Actually, it won't be any worse than a good wax job on a stock paint job. Also, I ride with a tinted face shield most of the time. The tank has enough contours that the sun doesn't reflect that bad.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
UUUUGGGGHHHH. My arms are even more tired even thinking about more polishing.

GJ on the tank. Too much effort for me.

What grits did you use? Did you use a rubbing compound then polishing? What did you use for clear?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UUUUGGGGHHHH. My arms are even more tired even thinking about more polishing.

GJ on the tank. Too much effort for me.

What grits did you use? Did you use a rubbing compound then polishing? What did you use for clear?
Grits: 150, 220, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000

I used Mothers Mag Aluminum Polish, then used Engine Enamel rattle can for the clear coat. Not because the tank will get hot, but because the high heat clear doesn't dull like the normal stuff. Also, it seems thinner and doesn't get surface bubbles on it. You can't even tell it's on there.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Your bike is going to be like a super sport Hodaka!!!!!!!!

Edited to add: I am old enough to have raced against these bikes; they did OK in hare scrambles in the early '70s. Lots of fun, very light weight and extremely nimble.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I really don't think you will see a difference with a grit above 1500 unless you get a magnifying glass.

BTW, good job on the tank! I wish my tank was perfact enough to do that, and I'm sure you would be screwed if you got a dent that couldn't be taken out.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Believe it or not, you can tell a difference in the sharpness of the reflection with the 2000 grit. The 800 and 1000 grit just makes it a little easier going from one to the other. I like the 800 because it gets rid of a lot of the tiny scratches made by the lower grits before you get to the fine stuff.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
K thanks. Guess I'll be getting some more sandpaper then.

How big a difference do you think adding a rubbing compound step will be on aluminum?
You know, I couldn't say. I've never tried anything but Mag Aluminum polish on all my polishing projects. I'd be interested to find out, though! I may have to pick some up and give it a shot.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts