Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone

Today I got screwed on an SV I was looking at. It was a silver 03. I had helibars and a Yosh pipe. I was really in great condition, only 2k miles. I saw it on eBay, but the dealer was only about an hour and a half drive. So I checked it out the other day. He said that if it didn't sell that he would sell it to me at the reserve price plus tax tags and title. I would have put a bid in on eBay, but they wanted the money immediately after the auction via paypal and I told them it would take a few days for the money to transfer into my bank account. I put it an an account that would prevent me from impulse buying and that has a better interest rate than my bank.

Well the auction ended today, I drove the hour and a half with a post dated check per our agreement. I'm thinking I just gotta pay the $4399 plus tax. I decided to handle the tags and title myself since they were charging me an extra $50 to ride away with temp tags. So they guy is filling out the paper work and I start noticing these extra charges that he neglected to tell me about the other day when we talked. $250 for a used vehicle reconditioning fee. What the hell is that. Then another $100 for document processing fee. I've paid $40 for that before, but not $100. So I ask him about it and he tells me that if I had bought it on ebay, those fees would have been waved, but that he couldn't wave them now. Then he tries to convince me that I'm really getting a steal b/c the bike was really worth $6200 (their original asking price). Now in my mind, I'm thinking this guy must think I'm an idiot. $6200 for a used 03. I've seen 05s for less than that. I've seen 1000s' for less than that.

So basically I ended up wasting a 1/4 tank of gas, and 3 hours of my time.

Sorry for the rant, had to vent, still very pissed off.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Better Business Bureau his punk ass...

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
JCubed said:
...basically I ended up wasting a 1/4 tank of gas, and 3 hours of my time. 
True, but it's still a lot cheaper than all the $ he tried to bend you over for.

I agree, try the BBB. And write a nastygram to the dealership owner. He may not be pleased if he finds out his sales reps are chasing off business and ruining his reputation with dishonest stunts. With any luck he may make good on the original deal.

Bill

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I agreem with Bmetz my sister bought a car and they tried to screw her over and she wrote a letter to Honda motor corp and they made them make good on the deal. DO something about it!

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
What a fool. They probably Ebay'd it 'cause they wanted rid of it.....no one paid their price......and someone was willing to do it, in person - but THAT guy has to pay extra? That's dumb.

Recon fees and doc fees are normal. 250 for recon is a bit much (our shop is $189.50). The $100 doc fee is standard issue in Ohio - that amount is permitted by state law. With us - you take that or leave the bike. But - you need to be up front about such things. Hiding these numbers always results in tension, which is the last thing you want when nearing the end of a sales agreement.

Always, always, always deal in out-the-door numbers. If that's the number you're willing to pay - and that's the number it'll take all-told to leave witht eh bike, they can itemize to the moon and back - but you hand them a check for X amount and not a penny more.

It's unfortunate that so many dealers feel it necessary to decieve customers right up to the point of signature. You have so much more fun - and make a happier customer - if you're as straight as you can be.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Some dealers are better than others, thats for certain, Ruefus, do you work for a dealer here in ohio too then? Im a parts slave at Mid Ohio in Mt vernon. I know the bike I bought had about 75 bucks in doc fees and such,  I felt that was fair enough. I know for a fact If we offer a price on ebay that someone in the situation described woulda got it for the exact same money. but thats us.

I would also talk to their sales manager or owner and explain my views if I still wanted to business with em. knowing me I wouldn't though. Id go spend my money at their competitors assuming they aren't trying to screw me too.

Then he tries to convince me that I'm really getting a steal b/c the bike was really worth $6200 (their original asking price). 
correct me if Im wrong, but I think you can get a brand new 650 for that. I know we could put ya on a 0 mile '05 for close to that anyway... jeez, they're crooks...

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I have always understood dealers to be separated into two distinct departments.
Sales and Service.

Now Sales do have to make a profit, but the real money is made with Service as I understand it.

Now if I get screwed by Sales ... what does it say about Service in that location?

There has to be a dynamic to exist that feeds both sides of the organization.

Now if you take a manager who is concerned only about his goals and meeting those goals at all costs
one gets the toxic environment just described. I have seen it more times than I care to admit and I
don't want to do business with those people.

Too much emphasis is put on personal goals and not enough put on organizational goals.

This is a lesson that is never learned and I see it time after time after time and I am getting sick of dealing with it.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
One thing you should always do when buying a used vehicle is research its NADA value, in this case... $3150-$4200, armed with that information, you can tell the sales person he is an idiot

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone.

I'm feeling better today. I'm seriously thinking about reporting them to the BBB.

Whenever I buy vehicles, I always deal in out the door numbers. I don't like last minute surprises. When people try to tack on additional fees, I get upset, I think you trying to get over on me, then I leave. When I originally spoke the the guy, I asked him for the out the door price, he said $4395 plus tax and tags. Then they pulled that crap. That's a little above the $4300 listed in NADA, but since it had the Helibars and Yosh pipe, I felt comfortable paying that.

I'd love the call the owner and tell him what happened, only problem with that is that the salesman called him while doing the paper work to check on the price and he was the one who told him to add the $99 document processing fee and the $250 fee. The document fee, I could have probably let that go even though it was higher than what I paid on my last bike and car combined ($20 bike, $40 car). This recondition fee, I've never had to deal with. My last bike was used and the only thing added was the $20 document fee.

Turns out to be a blessing in disguise. I might hold off a little longer on purchasing a bike. I've been reading alot about suspension upgrades with the SV and I've decided to save up the additional funds and purchase a GSXR or 636 Shock and some Sonic Springs. My aunt wants me to install crown moulding in her house, maybe I'll ask her to pay for them as an even trade...Now to find someone to help me install them when the time comes.

Thanks again for the advice and for letting me vent.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ruefus said:
Recon fees and doc fees are normal.  250 for recon is a bit much (our shop is $189.50).  The $100 doc fee is standard issue in Ohio - that amount is permitted by state law.  With us - you take that or leave the bike.   
Do you know, being an English guy, I must be really dumb. I just don't see how a dealer is justified in charging ANYTHING over and above the price of the bike! I don't go into a Cafe and spend a dollar on a Mocchafrappalatte with one sugar.....but get charged for the spoon to stir it!

Is it a Spag and meatballs at the restaurant but 10 dollars to look at the menu? Two bucks for a pound of spuds and 50 cents for the bag?

I now think I know where I went wrong when I was a dealer....now, where's me mask and pistols?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
The Great N-9Y said:
Do you know, being an English guy, I must be really dumb.  I just don't see how a dealer is justified in charging ANYTHING over and above the price of the bike!   I don't go into a Cafe and spend a dollar on a Mocchafrappalatte with one sugar.....but get charged for the spoon to stir it!

Is it a Spag and meatballs at the restaurant but 10 dollars to look at the menu?  Two bucks for a pound of spuds and 50 cents for the bag?   

I now think I know where I went wrong when I was a dealer....now, where's me mask and pistols?   

ya, if they've already reconditioned it and put a price, how can they charge more, if you looked at it immediately after it came in on a trade and asked them to clean it up would be a different story

at least in NH, where I live, I don't have to worry about tax, I always register vehicles myself rather than get a temp tag from the dealer, sticker should be all you pay for a vehicle

1 - 17 of 17 Posts