Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
somebody educate me on the benfits/disadvantages of pods. do they filter as well as the stock filter? will power increase/decrease? how much? what brands are good?

somebody in the know explain this mystery for me. :)

U

·
0 Posts
pod filters

I did some reading on this subject, I haven't used them but this is what I know. They will give minimal hp gains in the upper rpm range. there is a problem though because if the bike is in a crosswind, the filters being exposed, will effect performance. Also, it requires HUGE jets(like 180 or bigger) to balance the fuel mixture for the great amounts of air the bike is taking in. I'm not saying don't do it but unless you are racing and trying to squeeze out that last bit of hp. I would think that the ride-ability would probably suffer too much for street use. If you do decide to try it post a message on the board and let us know how it works out.

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
Here's Jack Roe's original posting on the subject. The bottom line: massive gains across the board, but most noticeably down low and in the midrange. BTW "Zoran" is our own "TWF":

Finally! Got Zoran's Factory Configuration 30 carbs on with the pods
the
other day. Got to ride it today. If all goes well, I'll get to dyno it
on
Tuesday and put a wrap on a project that got far more involved than I
ever
anticipated (my life story.....).

Since Mark Salvisburg, the head dude at Factory, set up Zoran's carbs,
I
left them "as is" and put them on. The settings were: 2-1/2 turns on
the
fuel screws, 17.5 pilot jets, #2 position on the needle, and a 8.5 mm
float
level (I'm told this is critical. The stock setting is 7.5 mm). The
front
main jet is a 220 and the rear is 215.

So, howzit work?? Pretty damn well, thank you very much! First, it's
loud as
Hell. Second, when you are at a stop, the raw gas smell coming from the
carbs stinks. That's all there is to the downside. These babies rock!
It
caburated perfectly and hauls ass. Strangely, the biggest improvement
is
down low and in the mid range. It's really noticeable there.

One of the critical tests I use for jetting is whacking the throttle
wide
open in first gear and running it to redline to see how well the needle
is
working. In the heat of the summer, with either the stock air filter or
the
snorkelectomy, if I lean hard over the handlebars, and open it up, I
can
keep the front end on the ground. No suck luck with the pod set-up. It
just
comes up sweet as you please. It carburates virtually perfectly
everywhere.
This kit works extremely well.

Is it worth it? That's up to you. The considerations are the cost ($280
retail), having to raise the gas tank 0.8" of an inch, the gasoline
smell
and the noise. You also have to make a catch can for the two crankcase
breather hoses.

One thing I have found is that with the snorkelectomy or the pod kit,
the
benefits are in the low & mid range. The top speed of the bike is the
same
with the stock air filter, the desnorkeled filter, or the pods. On a
good
run I get 9500 RPM with all of them ( real 125-126 MPH with the speedo
reading 132).

It's amazing how things work out that you just stumble into.....ya
listening
Beth?? I have the high-mount Micron exhaust system and did not use the
aluminum spacers they supply, if you want to retain the passenger
footpegs.
They are a real classy looking aluminum piece that, just by chance,
measures
exactly 0.8." You can't use a 0.9" spacer because it will raise the
tank too
high and it will hit the bottom of the triple clamp. A smaller spacer
won't
give you enough lift to clear the pods. I also used the stock top
washer and
a 40 mm long 6.0 X 1.0 hex head screw. I prefer the hex head as it does
touch the bottom of the triple clamp but won't scratch it like a
regular 10
mm bolt will.

I rode about 220 miles today, with a good mix of tight, medium, and
high
speed corners, and about half of the ride being the usual 60-65 MPH
highways
to get to the good stuff. I got 37.6 MPG. Very strange, the bigger the
main
jet, the better the mileage. When I went from the stock filter and 140
main
jet to the hogged out filter and a 152.5 main jet, I got a mile per
gallon
or two better. The pods are about three to four MPG better than I was
getting with the stock filter. Just reporting the facts, ma'am, didn't
say
they make any sense.....
As soon as I get the dyno run finished, I'll report the results to all
of
you. I will also write an article in Rob's July issue of the e-zine to
summarize all of the results comparing the stock air filter, the
snorkelized
one and the pods.

K

·
0 Posts
Re: pod filters

ur2silly said:
there is a problem though because if the bike is in a crosswind, the filters being exposed, will effect performance.
I've ridden ten's of thousands of kilometers on bikes with pods filters, in very windy places, and I have never noticed any sensitivity to crosswinds. I even use to have them on my BMW airhead, right out in the rain and wind, and never had the slightest problem.

I also work in fluid dynamics, and I can't imagine why a pod filter would be any different than an airbox for cross-wind sensitivity.

Where did you get that from?

T

·
0 Posts
I never had problem with wind either,even at willows where always blows.
no problem with flatslides without filters either.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, next question.

can i just buy some pod filters, remove the airbox, and attached the pods?

OR do i have to buy some stupid kit that costs over $200

U

·
0 Posts
Guess you shouldn't believe everythogny uo read

Sorry guys. Like I said I don't have pod filters nor any experience with them. I was just passing along info that I have read. Sorry if I caused any confusion for anyone.

·
Registered
93 Posts
wonderjosh said:
ok, next question.

can i just buy some pod filters, remove the airbox, and attached the pods?

OR do i have to buy some stupid kit that costs over $200
Yes, you need tank spacers to make them fit. I ran a set from Spears (www.spearsenterprises.com ) for a while, and yes that crosswind thing is bogus. The Spears ones are about $50 a set I think. Zoran knows the part numbers from Tucker Rocky, I used to have them, but lost them.

Andy

·
Registered
830 Posts
andy4us..
tell me how those spears worked. any problems with the install??
performance.

i just want to do it to get rid of the annoying airbox. don't want to remove it every time i want to mod something under the tank.
i'm lazy

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Brad has pod filters and jets in the low 200's (I forget the exact size).

I have a BMC race filter and 165's.

We both have full exhaust.

I did the cam swap, Brad did not.

My bike is faster ;)
Though I should add I probably weigh ~40LBS less then him.

I get ~40MPG, less if I'm beating on it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I dont see any reason why you couldnt just match up a universal pod to the carb intake and then use a well rounded guess as to how big the pod would need to be to flow good and fit under the tank. Then I would just rig up a couple of hoses and run out the bottom of the bike for the crank case, if its too much oil coming out then worry about a vent filter or a collection cup. Crosswind thing is kind of bogus I think, think about all the race cars or older muscle cars with open scoops and they dont seem to have problems, my old GS 500 had a pod on it and it was way more open to the wind then the SV one is and I never had a crosswind issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I thought the crosswind thing was an issue with ram air systems (again might be an urban legend). Something about the wind blowing across the ram air intakes could cause problems over all. I guess maybe working on the same principles that carb's work, blow across an orifice to creat a vacuum to suck up gas.

Why does nobody come out with custom airboxs for bikes. almost all cars have custome Cold Air Intakes. Could the same ideas be used for bikes just on a smaller scale with more creative designs?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Depends how you think about the wind issue, if you think of it as the crosswind taking air away from the system then you would need a pretty significant wind, but even then I find it hard to concieve the fact that you are actually going backwards. An engine produces and internal vacuum, the easier you make it for the air to get into that vaccum the better off you are, I dont see how the wind would actually have a negative affect on that as far as pulling air out, nor do I see one for forcing air, the vacuum produced can only take so much air before the pressure is equalized so no more air will flow, so the crosswind thing to me is a bunch of jiberish.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
The only downsides I've heard of were with regard to all-weather use... I've seen a fair few reports (with other bikes) complaining of bad performance in really wet weather. Anyone confirm or deny? It's something I've always discounted but maybe it would bear closer exaination...

T

·
0 Posts
Northwind said:
The only downsides I've heard of were with regard to all-weather use... I've seen a fair few reports (with other bikes) complaining of bad performance in really wet weather. Anyone confirm or deny? It's something I've always discounted but maybe it would bear closer exaination...
I had no problem with weather.I raced in rain with pods and flatslides(no filters).if you have upper fairing and moving forward you will get no water under tank.only way it will come in is front wheel splashes some up.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
How about with a bike that'll sepdn days at a time stood in the rain? I'm thinking more air moisture rather than direct rain contamination...

·
Registered
830 Posts
what kind of stuff wil li have to do with the 'oil tubes' that come into the airbox (2 of 'em). how much oil comes out of those. could i just clamp the ends of those tubes? or would that make them blow off. don't really want to have them open near my tires. i forgot to put them back into the airbox once and was rewarded with oil all over the upper engine and carbs.

T

·
0 Posts
yellow650 said:
what kind of stuff wil li have to do with the 'oil tubes' that come into the airbox (2 of 'em). how much oil comes out of those. could i just clamp the ends of those tubes? or would that make them blow off. don't really want to have them open near my tires. i forgot to put them back into the airbox once and was rewarded with oil all over the upper engine and carbs.
you can not plug them.it would build pressure inside motor.route them under seat or somewhere and put bottle there,like catch can,so oil mist goes in bottle.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Does anyone know what the filter would need for an inner diameter to mate up to the SV carbs properly, or what the SV carbs have for a outer diameter for the intake on the carbs?

T

·
0 Posts
sprint_9 said:
Does anyone know what the filter would need for an inner diameter to mate up to the SV carbs properly, or what the SV carbs have for a outer diameter for the intake on the carbs?
2 5/8 I believe.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts