Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a puncture in my brand new tire. Grrr! :evil: It is VERY tiny and leaking VERY slowly (less than a pound since this morning and I rode about 50 miles). I know the best solution is a new tire. Of course, the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's seem to be out of stock everywhere.
What do you guys think about a patch-plug in the meantime? What about just a patch?
Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I've run a rope type plug without issues. They make plugs that go inside the tire which are more reliable as well. If the hole is on or near the center of the tire repairing it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I would only use patch-plugs from the inside. Many shops won't want to do it for liability purposes, but it can be done.

Rope plugs I would only use as a temporary solution to get home. Even with patch-plugs, the speed rating of the tire has effectively gone down, so I would keep it under 75-80 from that point onwards.

Of course all of this is done at your own risk.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Slime is Baaaaaaaad, eats the tire up from the inside out, and you don't even know it cause the damage is out of sight

new tires are nail magnets I've personally never had a flat on a tire with more than 500 miles

plug it, watch pressure for a couple days, then forget, treat it like the new tire it is and put 13k on it

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
I got a puncture in my brand new tire. Grrr! :evil: It is VERY tiny and leaking VERY slowly (less than a pound since this morning and I rode about 50 miles). I know the best solution is a new tire. Of course, the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's seem to be out of stock everywhere.
What do you guys think about a patch-plug in the meantime? What about just a patch?
Any other ideas?
Plug it and forget it like others said. Chaparral is one place I have found to almost always have PP 2cts in stock in 160.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/michelin-pilot-power-2ct-rear-tire/190-03020163.aspx

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have less than 1000 miles on my new set of pilot road 3's and picked up the tip of a utility knife blade in my rear tire last week. I plugged it with a rope plug and am hoping the plant where I work will buy me a new tire. My last tire had a mushroom shaped plug on the inside that held for a few thousand miles until the tire wore out and got replaced.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info. The hole is pretty much in the center of the tire, in the deep part of the tread. The guys in the shop recommended a new tire, and for temporary, they said they could patch-plug it from the inside.
Thanks Drinkbrew for the link :)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
guys at shop always want to sell a new tire

if the tire was damaged belt wise, you'll know it within a couple days, even then, nothing catastrophic has anymore chance of happening than a perfect tire

·
Registered
184 Posts
Slime is Baaaaaaaad, eats the tire up from the inside out, and you don't even know it cause the damage is out of sight
Where did you hear that? I have never heard this before nor can I find anything on the net saying this.. I'm thinking a product that has been out over a decade would have a lot of bad nocks against it if this were true..

the only consistant thing I hear is "it's a real mess to clean your rim when you get new tires"

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Where did you hear that? I have never heard this before nor can I find anything on the net saying this.. I'm thinking a product that has been out over a decade would have a lot of bad nocks against it if this were true..

the only consistant thing I hear is "it's a real mess to clean your rim when you get new tires"
I first heard it fram an employee a couple days after I used some in a tire

sure enuf, a year later (maybe 2 years), the tire sidewall was so weak, the rim started spinning inside the rim when I pulled away from a stoplight

I''ve seen it, personal experience

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
There have been dozens of threads on this very topic. Do a search and read all the responses to the same question you asked here.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Plug until you can patch
Patch until you can buy new.

On a plug I stay well under triple digits
On a patch I ride as if it was never punctured

On warranty cycle gear will replace the tire if there is much tread life left and you bought the warranty

A shop in my area, Philly, will patch or $80. Beats spending $180+ plus install for new tire

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Cheap rope plugs from Walmart or Autozone. I have put thousands of miles on those in two different tires on my bike and several occasions in my car. Even did a track day. No issues. They work great.

Of course for liability purposes, one must not take undue risks with ones tires...;)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I have a road two with a hole in the tread that the dealers wouldn't patch for me. I briefly looked around for mushroom plugs but didnt come up with any.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts