Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was cleaning my chain yesterday and found a 2.5" nail in my rear tire. Dead center of the tread. I pulled the nail and plugged the hole..

I worked at a motorcycle shop when I was in high school. We refused to plug motorcycle tires due to liability issues.

I hate to buy a new tire. This one (Diablo strada) Only has around 2,000 miles on it. Any input?

Anyone want to purchase a "slightly used" with "minimal damage" Diablo strada?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
1) its better than riding around with the nail.
2) removing the tire and installing an inside patch is best
3) never had an issue with plugs and I have used quite a few..but not with motocycle tires, just auto's

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm currently 5 for 5 (or is it 6 for 6?) on all rear motorcycle tires plugged due to nail/screw/foreign object puncture. All plugs have held air and lasted for the duration of the tire. Simple rope plugs from the outside.

Still a personal choice, but I have no worries with plugs I've installed and will continue to do so on rears punctured in the middle of the tread; fronts and sidewall punctures are a different matter and I'll take those case by case when/if it happens.

·
Registered
160 Posts
200 miles on a rear tire and i got a nail in the middle of the tread. I ran a tar rope plug for a year and had no worries of going high speeds. I did have to service that tire every two weeks though.

Just recently got the rims powdercoated and had an inside patch put in. Since mine wont be goin on a track im not worried about it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I had a nail in my tire yesterday so we filled it with air till I got home and plugged it. Waited a few hours after plugging and while cruising at 70mph the plug blew right out. Talk about scary!!!

So I'm 0 for 1 on plugs. Re-plugged it this AM so we will see how it goes. Luckily I've got new tires to mount in preparation for the Rally!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Spaz, I wonder if you managed to get the plug completely through the tire, and did you push it through from the middle of the plug? That way, the plug would have a difficut time coming out, unless the tire hole was too large to start with.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Maybe you put the plug in wrong? I've plugged two tires (both rear) and they've stayed put until I got a new tire. The last tire I plugged had more than 3k on it. When I went to look for it I couldn't even find the plug.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
As of now I have 2 plugs on my rear tire..Haven't had any problems at all so far after like 1k miles

·
Woody's Lackey
1,464 Posts
hmm, let me think about this. if tire manufacters wont warranty a tire if it has a plug in it should you use a plug on a motorcycle tire. now lets think about what a motorcycle tire does. it goes through heat cycles so it will have traction. what happens when something gets hot, it expands. now a motorcycle tire will expand and contract how many times in 1000 miles? or 100 miles? short trips? long trips? im trying to think about this in a logical way. now since a motorcycle tire will see 200 degrees on a road trip, more or less, then it cools down to room temp, more or less. will that plug stay in there. i dont think i would trust it. i would rather pay 200 bucks for another rear tire then pay to repair my bike if the plug let loose. but then again that is just me.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was most concerned about the tire exploding and/or disintegrating and causing my death.

If I knew the tire would just go flat and I could limp my bike off into the sunset with a flat tire I wouldn't be inquiring on the forum.

I am moving apartments this weekend and don't have a whole lot of time to research the safety issues involving plugged tires... I have been following roommates with cars full of junk all weekend with no problems so far..

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Are you rude and unhelpful in all the other dozens of threads on this subject as well?
No, I was helpful to the first few. My advice in those isn't any different from what I would give now. Had you searched, you would have seen my well-grounded advice.

I am only rude to the foolish. You are asking a question that has been beaten to death, ad nauseum, to no purpose. You've been around for a while, so you've seen the other threads.

So, either you're an attention whore, because you want to post your own "unique" question, or you're stupid, because you are ignoring what's already there.

Your call.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I was most concerned about the tire exploding and/or disintegrating and causing my death.

don't let the secret out, most people don't know that tire plug is made from an explosive material, stuff about 500 of them in a pipe and you have a pipe bomb

I use them to go fishing, just toss a tire plug pipe bomb into the lake and you will have plenty of fish for supper

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
The reason garages and tire companies "say" to not do it is because the do not want to get sued from some idiot that is trying to get a free ride for their stupidity.

I have never heard of or read about a tire "exploding" from a tire plug.

I have plugged all my tires for the last 25-30 years and just had two in that time have a slow leak.

You do what you want to do. You can certainly sell your plugged tire for beer money if you don't want to ride on plugs.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts