Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what size socket is needed for the spark plugs? The plug socket I have (5/8ths?) doesn't seem to fit and the manual just mentions a tool number.

Help.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
I don't know it off the top of my head but do you have the one from your bike tool kit? You could measure that one...or use it!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried that. Nothing in there fit.

Of course I did lose a few pieces on the road when my bike was new. If you don't completely secure that little door to the tool compartment, it WILL fall off. Took me a few miles to figure out what that clinking sound was on left turns. Sigh.

·
Registered
437 Posts
donniej said:
I'm almost positive I use a 5/8", 3/8"drive Carftsman sprak plug socket to do my plugs.
So are you 100% sure, Donnie?  I'm trying to get my plugs out to inspect them but can't get a socket to take hold.  I tried searching (obviously) and also came across this thread as well:
http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=56152.0

What size socket do I need??

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
It's a 5/8" socket. Make sure you get a deep socket though - preferably a spark plug socket that has the rubber gromet inside to grip the plug on removal.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yeah, I've got the craftsman 5/8 spark plug-specific socket with the rubber inside. I tried using it along with an extender and could get hold of anything. At least I know what size it is for sure now. Thanks!

T

·
0 Posts
If you aren't lined up evenly the tip of the plug may not be going into the hole in the rubber thingy inside the plug socket. Use a regular deep socket.
THe tip of the plug could actually be topping out the socket. If you just drop the socket onto the without a wrench, you'll see if the plug pokes through. If it does, your socket isn't deep enough. You can still get the plug out, just don't put the 3/8 drive all the way into the socket. Be careful, it could pop out.

Have a magnet handy to pull the socket out.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
And when reinstalling the plugs it a good thing to have some really long needle nose pliers handy because sometimes the socket will stay on the plug as your trying to pull it off. :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts