Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 SV650S with about 5500 miles. I've never had any problems with it, but within the last 2 weeks, something has surfaced.

When I turn the bike on, I flip on the fuel injection (goes for like 2-3 secs) then crank it up. Sometimes, when the bike has been sitting for any decent period of time (at least 4-6 hrs), the ignition just keeps turning over, but won't crank the engine up. I end up having to give the bike a little throttle to finally turn over. If I turn it off and then back on, it cranks up just like normal. This problem seems to be intermittent as well.

From the people I have talked to I have heard that I may need new spark plugs, or fuel lines/injectors, or even a power commander.

Has anyone ran into a problem like this before and can offer a suggestion?

I tried searching the forum, but didn't find a problem similar enough.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Just my initial thought would be check the throttle bodies for correct butterfly position as well as sync..

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Just my initial thought would be check the throttle bodies for correct butterfly position as well as sync..
Start with plugs first. Always start simple, people are too quick to jump to bigger problems. Plugs first, then move on to the FI system. I have had bikes do crazy things with a bad plug.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
next time it happens, pull out a spark plug,(before you get it to start), and check for the plug being wet with fuel. if it is, you have an igniion problem. if dry, and the plug fires, then it's a fuel delivery problem.

a tight valve will also make it hard to start. (tight valve= loss of compression.)

with only 4500mi on the bike, however, those problems seem unlikely, but a 4 yr old bike in a damp climate like florida may have some corrosion on some of the electrical connections.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Does it smoke at first? If so could be a leaky injector.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
A set of CR8E is about $10, start there. Then I'd check the air filter and bang it out, run some FI cleaner into the tank and see how she runs. 5500 miles isn't alot for an 05 so I have to ask how long does the bike sit with out being run?? Days, weeks, months?? Winter storage??

Doesn't sound like a major problem just a minor one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Might be the same problem I'm posting about presently....a problem with the O/Y lead coming out of the ignition switch. In dealer mode, you may be throwing a code c42. There may be a problem with the anti-theft circuit coming out of the ignition switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts