Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... I've tried searching around some - and I've been paying particular attention to all the tire threads for a while now - but they're all starting to run together.

The facts:

- '03 SV - stock suspension
- 185-lb rider
- never ride in rain (unless caught off-guard)
- primarily aggressive/twisty street riding
- I'll possibly do a track day in the near future

I got 5K miles out of the original rear D220 - and replaced it with another D220 (because I didn't want to mis-match with the front - which was still good at the time). I'm almost to the wear indicator on the second rear D220 now - after about 3K miles. I guess because my pace has picked up - and/or because I no longer commute on the bike (easy miles). The sides of the front are SHOT (finally - after about 8K miles). I still have about 1/4" chicken strips on the rear. I've never dragged a peg... prefer to hang off a little to keep the bike more upright in hard turns (i.e. NC mountains, Deal's Gap, etc.). I've never had any trouble with the D220... they've never lost traction or slipped in any way (that I was aware of anyway) - but the it's the only street tire I know. The way everyone rags on them here has me thinking I should try something else/better.

Tires I'm considering:

- Michelin Pilot Powers
- Metzeller Roadtec Z6
- Dunlop D208ZR

Can anyone compare one or more of these to the D220? Traction? Handling? Wear rate? Of course, like everyone, I want my cake and eat it too - more traction AND the same or better wear rate.

Which of these should I go with (or something else entirely)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
326 Posts
PP

Done.

You won't be dissapointed. :p

·
Registered
551 Posts
dont own anything but stock right now...but pp's are goona be the next pucks on my ride!!!!

·
Registered
722 Posts
OK, my .02: Pilot powers, while they sound like great tires, probably don't make sense for the riding style described by Poe. If you aren't dragging pegs, and never had the 220's slip, then why buy a super sticky tire? In terms of stick AND miles, then the Z6's sound like the ideal package.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't know if I would put the PP in the super sticky catagory. Sticky yes but not super sticky. That being said, they are a dual compound tire and do last a decent amount of time. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'll probably have to go with new tires late this year or early next year, but I admit I don't think the Powers have enough longevity for me. I've never slipped on the stock Dunlops, either. I've got about 5500 on both front and rear now, and no wear bars showing. I do a mix of riding...some city commuting, some high-speed interstates, and twisties on weekends. Right now I'm leaning toward some Azaro ST's. I'd love to go with the Powers, but I'd really rather have something I feel like I could reasonably get 8k out of.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
ok, ill get some PP front. Now where to buy cheaply.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
AMT and Ron Ayers are the only ones within a $1 of each other. Now, which one has faster shipping?

oh, the stealership qouted 109.95 plus tax for either dunlops or metzeler.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
hell yeah thats alot of powers!! i think i got mine from ronayers, both front and rear for 230 shipped. im east coast, and it took about 3 or 4 days to get them

1 - 20 of 39 Posts