Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I currently have a 2006 SV650S. I'm converting it into a SV650 (N). I'm have a problem finding the right switch/throttle assembly. When I go to Bike Bandit and find the switch assembly for the 2006 N, they look the exact same as the S. The only difference I see is the starter switch.
I had recently purchased a 2003 switch/throttle assembly because I thought it would fit, but soon found out that the connectors on the 2003 is a 8 pin rather than a 10 pin on the wiring harness.
So does anyone know where I can find the right switch/throttle assembly? Or is there a way I can get the 2003 to work on the 10 pin harness?
Any help would be great, just wanna get her all fixed up so I can go riding.
-Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,541 Posts
... is there a way I can get the 2003 (8 pin) to work on the 10 pin harness?
The extra 2 pins (O/R and Y/W) on the 2005+ R.H. switch assy are for the headlight-cut feature (headlight goes out when the starter button is pressed).

If you still have the connector shell from your old '06 assy, you can make an '03 assy work on your '06 bike by removing the 8 pins from the '03 assy, insert them into the 10 pin connector shell of your '06 assy. There will be two missing pins for the headlight wires, connect them together, your headlight will stay on even when the starter button is pressed.

Or, return the '03-'04 part for the '05+ version...

These diagrams say it better than words.

SV650 2003-2004 RH Switch, 8 position connector. No headlight-cut feature.

SV650 2005+ RH Switch, 10 position connector. With headlight-cut feature (O/R to Y/W).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The extra 2 pins (O/R and Y/W) on the 2005+ R.H. switch assy are for the headlight-cut feature (headlight goes out when the starter button is pressed).

If you still have the connector shell from your old '06 assy, you can make an '03 assy work on your '06 bike by removing the 8 pins from the '03 assy, insert them into the 10 pin connector shell of your '06 assy. There will be two missing pins for the headlight wires, connect them together, your headlight will stay on even when the starter button is pressed.

View attachment 53960

SV650 2005+ RH Switch, 10 position connector. With headlight-cut feature (O/R to Y/W).
View attachment 53962
Awesome! Thank you so much! Gonna give it a try later on tonight 🤙🏽

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

View attachment 53960

View attachment 53962
So to be clear, you pull the wires for the headlight cut features from the 10 pin connector on the main wiring harnesses and splice then together?

·
Super Moderator
8,541 Posts
So to be clear, you pull the wires for the headlight cut features from the 10 pin connector on the main wiring harnesses and splice then together?
That will work but please do not hack the main harness if you can help it.

Best to do the jump on the switch side connector. Instead of leaving two empty holes in the 10 position switch side connector, use spare wire and pins (make a loop-back) from your old switch assy to make the jumper.

btw, you do have the old '06 switch assy? Why does it need to be changed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That will work but please do not hack the main harness if you can help it.

Best to do the jump on the switch side connector. Instead of leaving two empty holes in the 10 position switch side connector, use spare wire and pins from your old switch assy to make the jumper.

btw, you do have the old '06 switch assy? Why does it need to be changed?
I think I see what you mean. Let me step this out so I don't get it wrong. ;)
From my '06 switch assembly: I pull the 8 wires from the 10 pin switch side connector leaving the two for the headlight cutout feature. To form a jumper, I would just snip the 2 leftover wires long enough so I could splice them together. Then I could take that 10 pin connector shell and insert the 8 wires from the '03 assembly onto it and then attach to the main wiring harness. Does that sound right?
I do have the '06 switch assembly. I have to change it to the naked version assembly which has the integrated connectors for the throttle cables. The cables on the '06 switch assembly are too short to accommodate

·
Super Moderator
8,541 Posts
You got it. (y)

Doing it this way allows going back to stock any time in the future and also spares the small angel who sheds a tear anytime an OEM harness gets hacked. : -)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You got it. (y)

Doing it this way allows going back to stock any time in the future and also spares the small angel who sheds a tear anytime an OEM harness gets hacked. : -)
Hahahahahahahaha! Thank you, this help is much appreciated. I'll post some pix when it's done. Hopefully this week. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts